heifer problem

Help Support CattleToday:

cowcocky6258

Reaction score
I have a 18 month old heifer , she hasnt been to a bull and lately i noticed one side of her bag is swollen,it appears though half her bag is normal and the other half is swollen , it hangs down so to speak.. i may be wrong but wether its coincidence or not but it seems as if she developed this problem since she first came on heat... the swollen bag doesnt cause her any concern, there are no abcessess ,cuts etc on her bag....she is in a paddock with some heifers and steers around the same age and finally she was bought from a calf sale and was bucket reared...her breed is angus /friesan ...

I think as heifers mature, they tend to develop. Not so much as the bag "filling" but more on the lines of the bag area "loosening". And if this animal is being fattened, then it would just be fat developing probably. No fever on animal and no fever in the bag as well...

Then, only way to be certain, and even vets can be wrong, would be preg checked.

Michele

sounds like a fluid bagg.but im not sure.filling on one side has me stumped.id get her up.an check her bagg an teats.im wondering if she dont have mastitis on that side.id try milking those 2 teats an see if anything comes out.if its stringy an yellowish clumps its mastitis.that will have tobe treated.

Sounds like mastitis to me especially if the two quarters on the other side have no fluid. It can and does happen. If she were developing what I call a "false udder" from to much hot feed at least it should be even.

Latest posts