Heifer pics.

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I was out the beginning of the week taking a few pics before that wicked blizzard hit us and as you can see the sky is ugly. Not the greatest pics but the girls are doing great this year, my best heifer crop. I decided not to AI any but let my Kalina Moderator son breed them and concentrate on AI'ing more cows this year.. They were on green feed only and now they get a little grain as I have only enough feed for less than 2 weeks left so I really needs to stretch it. You would think that the prices would come down now that spring has sprung but no they still want $160 a ton.

IMG_2524.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2519.jpg

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2504.jpg

IMG_2515.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2506.jpg

Will try to take better individual ones when things dry up a bit.

Thanks Mo, that is one thing that I like about the group this year they are really uniform in size which is what I am striving for as a relatively new breeder. Lola's dam is homo blk but she was bred by our clean up red bull who carried the diluter gene. She had a blk calf this year and we AI'd her to same bull again.

Got the girls and babes moved to a different pasture today and the bulls were moved to a cleaner bigger paddock than the ones they were in. The boys were quite a handful to move over but Nikki did pretty well helping out. Everyone is happy now.. :D

HD, that is sure a fine looking set of GV heifers. I can see why folks would stop and try to buy them. If I was closer I'd be camped on your doorstep with my checkbook.

I agree that they are very uniform.

Gelbviehs are good cattle they are fantastic to cross with a number of breeds. I've used them with Hereford,Brahman and South Devon. Have kept all the cross females but have got rid of the pure females because of space. Would love some first cross Brahman Gelbvieh females to buy one day as they are the pick of the crosses that I have used.

you have a fine looking set of heifers there.they cant get much better than that.

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. Now if I can kick them out to pasture soon and get the rest of my boys sold I will be ecstatic ... :nod:

3waycross":23kdrw1o said:
HD
What bull is that with the heifers. Is that Maximus?

Yes that is Max, and wouldn't you know I kick my cows out with Max and the heifers yesterday and 3 girls I have been waiting for to AI ,come into heat today .. :roll: Oh well, I know that Maximus is a really good bull,, BUT ,,I still would have liked to AI them.. 8)

hillsdown":34bxcosa said:
3waycross":34bxcosa said:
HD
What bull is that with the heifers. Is that Maximus?

Yes that is Max, and wouldn't you know I kick my cows out with Max and the heifers yesterday and 3 girls I have been waiting for to AI ,come into heat today .. :roll: Oh well, I know that Maximus is a really good bull,, BUT ,,I still would have liked to AI them.. 8)

Welllllllllll I have to say he grew out nicely. I am now officialy as impressed with the rest of him as I was with the previously mentioned scrotal measurements. :tiphat:

Sure glad we're not neighbors, I'd have to shoot all of my cows if there was a group that pretty next door!

Nice, very nice.

That is about as nice a set of heifers that I have ever seen! Wow, great job! I really like that bull too!! Jeesh you may convert me ..... may have to see if there are any breeders in our area. Hmmmm

Alright you guys, I am going to have to put a pair of hip waders on when I read your comments .. :p :lol2:

Thanks CKC And Cf . :)

I agree with all that this is a nice set of heifers. Looking at these pics and hearing peoples' comments makes me curious why Gelbvieh aren't more popular than they are. I have always had great luck with them and produce some very nice looking and productive critters.

novaman":3rv4y64v said:
I agree with all that this is a nice set of heifers. Looking at these pics and hearing peoples' comments makes me curious why Gelbvieh aren't more popular than they are. I have always had great luck with them and produce some very nice looking and productive critters.

Truth be told I think they are making a pretty good comeback these days. I sure hope so. It would be nice if my timing was right for a change.

I believe for sure that the Balancer deal is getting hotter all the time and you need Gelbvieh's to make Balancers last time I looked.

Nova, GV's are really popular around here, alot of commercial guys use them for bulls on a multitude of different breeds of cattle. There is a really nice PB herd about 5 miles away from us and they run them with red Angus bulls for balancer calves like 3way was writing about.

I think the breed is really starting to gain popularity again.

Good set of heifers, look like that Moderator bull adds to the hip and rear from those photo's. those girls would sell real good down this way good luck with them. :cboy:

Are you neighbors with Svertson's. Our neighbors just a mile south introduced Gelbvieh to their polled hereford cows about a dozen years ago-have some nice calves-they're in their 80's and calving around 150 cows so disposition isn't a problem. I used to know quite a few Gelbvieh breeders when the Sask. Livestock Centre still was running but lost touch with them since it closed. One bulkl that had some good sets of sons on test was Belly River Bryce if I remember correctly.

Latest posts