critterair2

Reaction score
general_pics_175.jpg

general_pics_172.jpg

general_pics_169.jpg

general_pics_171.jpg

general_pics_165.jpg

general_pics_184.jpg

looks like it's gonna take a whole lot more bull than the one you pictured to make up these cattle shortcomings. that 4th one looks like she's walking on stilts. if she ever grows into them legs..... look out :shock:

would you mind pointing out some of the things you don't like so I can find a direction to work towards. Thanks

well no offence at all...but the bull you want to use to add more mass. needs to have some mass of his own. to make your calves if possible 50 percent better . these cattle need cleaned up with a lot better bull one that will add uniformity . the bull aint showin much definiton of muscle at all.

all less than a year, cattle have just been a hobby for us, without a lot of concern about quality, just quiet easy handling cows to have some fun with, but we are starting to get into it more seriously, not trying to make a living off of them.

The thing that stands out to me is they seem to be fine boned. Not a big problem necessarily, but when it comes time to get a new bull, look for one with more bone mass... but keep on eye on birth weight EPD's as well.

critterair2":356a4gj2 said:
all less than a year, cattle have just been a hobby for us, without a lot of concern about quality, just quiet easy handling cows to have some fun with, but we are starting to get into it more seriously, not trying to make a living off of them.

If you really want to get serious about the beef business I would suggest starting over with higher quality cattle. There simply isn't enough good about any of the pictured cattle to warrant using them as breeding stock. You would be years, maybe decades ahead by starting with more quality and uniformity.

Look for more muscle, depth and structural soundness. Look around, visit some people who raise cattle for a living. When you find some cattle and people that you like, cattle that are raised in a similar fashion to the way you will manage yours, try to buy a package of cows or heifers from that herd.

I agree with Seth... If you want to hit the ground runnin in the cow/calf buisness, I would suggest starting fresh. Starting with heifers can be a gamble in itself... who knows if they will breed, and if so, will they raise the calf?? No calf means no profit! I would suggest selling the heifers you have, and picking up some black, black white face, or red pairs around the age of 3 to 6 years old.. Yes the initial investment is more, however, you will know that the cow is able to breed and have a calf.. There is always risk in doing this as well. Always keep in mind that there is a reason someone is selling their cow... Look to see if the cow is in good physical shape, structurally sound, has good udder quality and will allow the calf to nurse. If the calf is a larger calf, you do not need to be as concerned, but you still need to keep in mind that there is a reason the cow is for sale. Let's just hope that it is because the seller is needing a little extra cash. By purchasing pairs, you will recieve a portion of your money back when you sell the calves. Around where I live, the calf in the pair is usually worth more than the cow, so by selling the calf, you will ultimately get half of your money back. I would suggest putting these newly purchased cows with a good black bull. The majority of the black or red cows will throw a black calf, and black calves tend to sell at a premium. These are just my suggestions. I hope I could be of some help.