Heifer overdue- What to do

Help Support CattleToday:

Double R Ranch

Reaction score
We have an angus heifer who has shown signs of calving for over a week now, when she was due. Bag is beyond full at this point and concerned were loosing colostrum.
Yesterday she would walk and fluid would come squirting out. Was the first water sack type fluid. NOT URINE. I know the difference.
Nothing external just every step she took she expelled quite a bit of fluid.
Calf has been in the birthing position for days now. Each time the vet has me check the feet aren't more than 3-5 inches in. Vet had me go vaginaly and cervix was still closed.
REALLY can't have this calf getting any bigger. Vet school wants $600 min. to see her.
What would you do???? Really need this calf out. Can't give drugs to induce without the cervix being dilated. One person told me to give partial doses of oxytocin to cause the calf to push on the cervix and cause it to open and "let the calf out" Frustrated and over tired.
Thanks,
Double R

Benign neglect or cough up the big bucks to the vet school. Unless the calf is too big for the pelvis she'll go into labor when it is time. Watch for the bag of waters

2ml injection of dexamethazone will do the trick without causing any extra problems. Have used it plenty of times.

$600 just to check a preg cow? that is bullshiz!! why n the heck do they think they gotta charge so much that people dont use them.they r a skool and u would think they would b happy to get the practice.

14 days or 2 weeks before or after the known due date is still on schedule.

piedmontese":7fzkbotn said:
$600 just to check a preg cow? that is bullshiz!! why n the heck do they think they gotta charge so much that people dont use them.they r a skool and u would think they would b happy to get the practice.

Thats kindof my thought as well. Last time we did that the outcome was a very costly one anyways. Still lost cow and calf.

Got the dexamethazone. Can't find any real info on what it does on cattle (or animals for that matter) Just curious what it does and how it "helps". Thanks for the advice!!!

Double R Ranch":2g8q14zf said:
Got the dexamethazone. Can't find any real info on what it does on cattle (or animals for that matter) Just curious what it does and how it "helps". Thanks for the advice!!!
It stimulates them going into labor and also gets the calfs lungs prepared for breathing air.

Anti inflammitory steroid. I'm not going to advise this because I'm not a "vet" but I give 20ml of dex and 5ml of lute to induce labor. Calf on the ground within 36hrs. I always sleeve up an check them out first to make sure things are as they should be.

Sizmic

Maybe rethink your bull or semen choices if you've had this problem before. Just a thought. Good luck and I hope things go better for you this time

sizmic":2sjpq62n said:
Anti inflammitory steroid. I'm not going to advise this because I'm not a "vet" but I give 20ml of dex and 5ml of lute to induce labor. Calf on the ground within 36hrs. I always sleeve up an check them out first to make sure things are as they should be.

Sizmic

The same dex spoken of above? Would you just do this or try the 2ccs first?
Thanks all for the help! This calfs getting to big.
Double R

If the calf is too big as you assume, get the vet out and do a C section. The worst thing to do is to get tyhat claf part way out and decide it should come out the side instead of the back

I have been follow this thread and I'm with the group ... or the one that says $600 for a Preg ck?????? either time for a new Vet or we're not getting the whole story. I had a heifer preg ck by a vet last year for $20, granted that is not including the farm call, it was included in a few things needed done with my livestock ... but really $600?

Good luck on your calf, with luck all is easy and without a Vet.

Alan

dun":2h8h0cqj said:
If the calf is too big as you assume, get the vet out and do a C section. The worst thing to do is to get tyhat claf part way out and decide it should come out the side instead of the back

I agree completely Dun. Our vet refuses to come out til she's in actual labor. The teaching school will be our only bet (which its a ways away) if I get to feeling she can't have it naturally. We did that part way out thing before. Didn't end well. Were still within range to have her deliver naturally but not for much longer. Ive palpated her and she is very wide and tall inside.
For those who have done (or had done) C-sections, what has been the outcomes for the cows? Do they still successfully reproduce? Can you use them for embryo's (there lies the whats causeing this ?) Will they have to have c-sections from now on? Tell me more. We've never had a successful one done and we've had a few attempted. At this point im almost willing to try with my horse vet.
The bull is a very well known bull that has been uses on heifers for several years now with no problems. Select sires sells him as a heifer bull.
However, the ? still lies as to what is causing all this........ Gave the 2cc's. It wasn't clear how long that would take to do anything. Was able to get a hold of 20cc's more if needed. Already have Lute. What are the affects on the calf if done this way?? Has all went normal and well for you doing this?
Thanks all for the advice or "what I would do". Will keep checking for more input.
Double R

Alan":18iq7xvq said:
I have been follow this thread and I'm with the group ... or the one that says $600 for a Preg ck?????? either time for a new Vet or we're not getting the whole story. I had a heifer preg ck by a vet last year for $20, granted that is not including the farm call, it was included in a few things needed done with my livestock ... but really $600?

Good luck on your calf, with luck all is easy and without a Vet.

Alan

First off the preg check isn't that much for a standard preg check. Im not sure what it is as we do it onsite. That isn't whats needed. We know her cervix isn't dilated, the calf is in the correct position, milk had dropped and she's completely "ready" to calve.
That is to have her evaluated, checked, and drugs given to help her along. If C-section thats more.
Thats the reason we haven't taken her.
Our other available vet isn't willing to come out until she's already in labor and in trouble. (which hasn't worked well in the past to get him out in an emergancy) All other large animal vets are closed or doing small animal only now.
Only when I noticed this was becoming an issue did I call around before even coming on here. Ofcourse they won't just tell you what to do they want the money.
Thanks all!
Double R

Latest posts