Heifer overdue- What to do

Help Support CattleToday:

If she were mine I would check for normal presentation of the calf, give 20ml of dexamethasone, 5ml of lute, if everything seemed normal. Have done this more than a handful of times with zero failures to calve within 36hrs., usually 10-12hrs. Have a calf jack ready, we have never had c-sections done, although sometimes it might have been justified. Calves have all been rarin' to go. I do not like doing this but a wise vet once told me, "if you got a good ai or service date, get'em out". About 1.25 #'s per day in the cow of gain.

My vet likes giving 10ml in the vein, but I don't do that so, he suggested 20ml IM.

Sizmic

sizmic":2woz7gjt said:
If she were mine I would check for normal presentation of the calf, give 20ml of dexamethasone, 5ml of lute, if everything seemed normal. Have done this more than a handful of times with zero failures to calve within 36hrs., usually 10-12hrs. Have a calf jack ready, we have never had c-sections done, although sometimes it might have been justified. Calves have all been rarin' to go. I do not like doing this but a wise vet once told me, "if you got a good ai or service date, get'em out". About 1.25 #'s per day in the cow of gain.

My vet likes giving 10ml in the vein, but I don't do that so, he suggested 20ml IM.

Sizmic

Got it. Done. Thanks. Sounds like a wise vet. I try very hard to let nature do it's thing but this one just isn't going right.
Sure wish we'd get a good vet around here. Don't see that happening anytime soon.
Thanks again
Double R

Most C section cows heal up and go on to reproduce naturally and calve naturally. It's the waiting till they;re in trouble that I think is why there are problems.

The 2mm of dex "suggests politely" that the heifer calve. If you want to get the calf out pronto, give the dex and lute.
We've never had to do that - the 2mm dex has always produced a calf within 36 hours. I've done this about 80 times.

jilleroo":hnlh0xkz said:
The 2mm of dex "suggests politely" that the heifer calve. If you want to get the calf out pronto, give the dex and lute.
We've never had to do that - the 2mm dex has always produced a calf within 36 hours. I've done this about 80 times.

We would like to offer a huge THANK YOU to all who offered help or what I would do ;-) ! We have a baby boy on the ground. Our heifer went into labor 11:45am. Still had not made any progress by 5:00pm. Vet said get it out! Good thing we did. He's big. Was careful not to get him stuck and with mama's help we got him out safely.
He has been gurgling more than normal amount of fluid out of his nose (so we hung him upside down) and has been VERY slow to get up but he's alive and coming along. We will be weighing him shortly as he is finally up and trying to nurse.
Mama's bag has been so big and full that she's really hurting and not wanting him to nurse but he has now gotten a taste and is trying very hard to get more. I think he will be ok.
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP!! We have a bottle of Dex on order even though we've never had a need to induce before but we will have it on hand incase this happens again in the future.
We will post pictures of mama and baby asap. For now its full attention to the new baby and finally after almost two weeks some sleep!!! First we need to put them back out onto the dry pasture. Its getting dark! Have a great night all and happy calving!!!!
Double R

paintedwolfranch":190pztvz said:
Congratulations on the happy outcome -- a live cow and calf w/no vet bill is a great end result -- lol.
Thanks and not a normal outcome for us!!!! Lol!

Glad it worked out. I always wonder if I really helped out or not. She coulda' been getting ready when I give a shot, but at least this way I know.

Sizmic

sizmic":3l1qbt0p said:
Glad it worked out. I always wonder if I really helped out or not. She coulda' been getting ready when I give a shot, but at least this way I know.

Sizmic
I have zero doubt that the shot worked! Thanks to you we have a live calf on the ground!
Thank you a hundred times over for sharing!
Double R

Double R Ranch":18fj8n8y said:
sizmic":18fj8n8y said:

Sizmic
I have zero doubt that the shot worked! Thanks to you we have a live calf on the ground!
Thank you a hundred times over for sharing!
Double R
That's all that matters. But the time interval is really too short for it to have taken affect.

My vet has mentioned retained placenta issues with inducing labor . . . . any truth?

Yes. If you can get ahold of a long-acting steroid (the usual ones used in cattle are generally short acting and result in higher rates of retention) you still run 9-22%. The way I look at it, any time you have to intervene in the natural birth process, with drugs, manual assisstance, etc) you will have more retained placentas.

Retained placenta is one reason for the Lute.

Sizmic

edit: I have never had a problem with retained placenta on cattle I have induced. fwiw

No, we've never had retained placenta with any of the heifers we've induced either.

Latest posts