heifer off feed

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
i just got messaged with a problem ive never seen or had before.i sold some reg heifers to a ffa student that picked them up 2wks ago.all 3 was eating a 14% small pellet creep feedat time of pickup.now they are eating some kind of sweet feed.1 went off of the sweet feed wich the other eat all of the feed.they are all penned togather.i told him to try her on a dry small creep pellet to see if she will start eating again.so now im thinking its time to have the vet look at her.this prob has me stumped.

We hada cow that would eat anything put in front of her UNLESS it had corn gluten in it. Wouldn;t touch the stuff. Had her for 5 years and she neveer would eat anything with it in it.

Ya sometimes they just want eat some feeds. Bought some Holsteins that was use to eatting sweet feed. Brought them home and was feeding them ground ear corn with soy mill and 1 of them never would eat any grain keep them for 6 months and the while time he never ate a bite of grain.

Is the heifer eatting grass or hay?

this 1 has me stumped because she was eating the lil dry creep pellets with no prob.so a feed change is all i can think of.she was eating hay when he got her home.he has them in a pen because he wants to show 2 of them.so i know he is feeding them grain and hay daily.

I'd say its just a feed change. we have had calves go off feed for a couple of days until they get use to the new ration.

well it wasnt the feed change.the lil hammerhead was still missing her momma or cows in general.they moved a cow into the corral with the heifers last nite and the heifer perked up and went right to eating like nothing was wrong.

dun":o9zraxmv said:
I thought she was in with other registered heifers they bought
yes dun she was with heifer mates that she was born with.she is still a little nervious and standoffish around the young man.so i told him to hang out in their pen and sit and talk to her.

bigbull338":dzckxw8e said:
dun":dzckxw8e said:
I thought she was in with other registered heifers they bought
yes dun she was with heifer mates that she was born with.she is still a little nervious and standoffish around the young man.so i told him to hang out in their pen and sit and talk to her.
I've been known to take a newspaper with me and read it out loud for them.

im checking on the heifers every week to see how they are doing.but the only way i get to see them is through pics.

the heifer is doing fine now eating like a pig with her herdmates.the bad thing was he had to scratch her from showing in the state fair.but she will be ready for the next show.

Latest posts