Heifer in labor >8 hours - Help

Help Support CattleToday:

ljV

Reaction score
Our heifer has been in stage 1 labor for eight hours. How long should we let her go? No feet sticking out or anything yet, but she pushes and strains on and off, lays down, gets up, paces, etc. Not sure if this normal or not.

Time to get her in the chute, glove up and find out what the problem is. If you're not comfortable doing that, or don't have a chute, then call your vet or load her up and take her in to the vet.

it sounds like she is having problems. probably a breech calf. get in there and have a feel about 6 hours ago.

Most likely a breech. Again you should have had here in a chute hours ago and if you don't know how to pull that calf you should of called the vet instead of coming to a chat board.
Go ahead and dig a deep hole if she has been in labor that long 10 to 1 you got a dead calf.

Caustic Burno":u4jh5x0l said:
Most likely a breech. Again you should have had here in a chute hours ago and if you don't know how to pull that calf you should of called the vet instead of coming to a chat board.
Go ahead and dig a deep hole if she has been in labor that long 10 to 1 you got a dead calf.

Now Caustic. Don't be so rude. Don't you run to a Chat Board every time you have a problem with a cow? :lol: :lol:

MikeC":238onnbn said:
Caustic Burno":238onnbn said:

Now Caustic. Don't be so rude. Don't you run to a Chat Board every time you have a problem with a cow? :lol: :lol:

Yeah right,never had a good time till you have to dip a dead one out, my next post is going to be how to draw that X for shot placement.

I am going to have to agree wikth caustic this time. I have bit my tounge for along time. But do these peoplle just go out and get cow and think that that makes them cattlemen. Some of these people need to start over and read the books and talk to cattlemen inadvance before getting cattle. Who in their right mind would you get on a computer to ask question that should have been handled hours ago. IMO

endebt":l2tenk9m said:
I am going to have to agree wikth caustic this time. I have bit my tounge for along time. But do these peoplle just go out and get cow and think that that makes them cattlemen. Some of these people need to start over and read the books and talk to cattlemen inadvance before getting cattle. Who in their right mind would you get on a computer to ask question that should have been handled hours ago. IMO

No they have to buy the Ford F-250 4x4 diesel, Hat, next is the trailer so and so's cattle ranch then the cow.

Well, its been about 9 hrs since you posted your question. Update on how things went? Did you get a vet? Live calf (doubtful but hopeful)? Live cow?

ive seen one go about 16 hours and the calf still be alive when she was pulled. the only heifer calf i can remember ever being pulled. and she was a normal presentation. that was when i was very young. i remember she was a little angus x charolais first calf heifer and she was fiestier than Caustic Burno. the calf was a limousin i think.

I totally cringed when I read the subject post.
You obviously have read how stage 1 can last a long time. But stage 1 is when they are RESTLESS, switching their tail, pacing, laying down, getting up. And yes, this can last quite a long time - BUT - and this is important - if you see ANY sign of pushing - that means stage 2 has started. If there is no progress, that means the calf can't FIT into the birthing canal. That's why everyone jumped on the probability of the calf coming breech.
I know everyone jumped on you - rightfully so- but please let us know what the outcome is. People posting don't understand that even if we "ridicule" you, we really care what happens - good, bad or ugly. It is a learning lesson for others that are new at this like you. Someone might learn from your mistake. And sometimes these things work out fine.

Here's a little different perspective but with the same advice. We waited to long this week-end to pull a calf. It turns out that the sack was very thick and tough, only one foot managed to break through, the rest of the calf was still all balled up inside the sack so the other leg couldn;t extend. Once I managed to get the other foot clear of the sack and the head uncovered the calf slipped right out. One more of Ma Natures little tricks to keep us all learning new stuff.
When I mentioned it to the vet he commented that every calf he has had to pull this year have been in very thick tough sacks. He is at a loss as to what is happening with the extra thickness/toughness deal this year.

dun

Vet came - tail first, dead. Vet told us it was a very weird presentation and hard to detect to someone new to calving. Learned from our mistake. Yes, thought it was stage 1 when it was actually stage 2. Shame on us, but I came here for advise, not ridicule.

Yes - heifer is OK. She got extra special care last night and extra hay this AM. Will keep her separated until tonight to make sure she is OK. Vet said to sell her, she is too short and squatty and might or might not have a problem next time. I think we will take his advice.

The best thing you can do is to learn from your mistake. Do absolutely everything you can to learn about every stage of labor, what is normal and what is not, what you can do and if you are unsure call the vet. Most are more than willing to share knowledge. Know your cows - keep notes from year to year on what their bags do before calving, what their tail set is like, even their attitude toward the rest of the herd and you. The more you know about what is "supposed" to happen and what is "normal" for your cows then the easier it will be to determine that something isn't right. And follow your gut...if your gut feelings are red flags then get the vet out!!

When you think you know everything - look around - I guarantee someone will have something you have never seen before.

There are lots of resources out there - just google "calving AND cow" and see what you get. Almost every Extension office will have something on calving, check out the closest University with an Ag program often they have short courses on managment or books/binders that you can order that detail common diseases, management, feeding, calving, weaning etc for your general area.

There is also a couple books by an English Vet, Eddie Straiton - Calving the Cow and Care of the Calf and Cattle Ailments: Recognition and Treatment (this covers diseases not calving) - both have LOTS of pictures (rather graphic). He uses a dead calf to demonstrate the dystocia positions and how to resolve them and when to get help.

Best of luck!

Thank you for letting us know what happened. To those of us who have had breech calves, we know the signs. Now you're an expert on full breech. This is a "fixable" problem. But you have to be careful to cup your hand over the calves hooves as you pull them around. Tricky - but do-able. Like others said, don't be afraid to get some AI gloves & check what's going on. Easier to make a decision as to whether a vet is needed.
Sorry for your loss.

Ljv,

Just a quick note:
If you have any neighbours that have cattle, remember that they'll be a wealth of information - and I haven't met too many old hands with stock that weren't willing to share their knowledge over a cup of coffee or even lend a hand to folks who are new to owning livestock and wanting to learn.

If you find yourself in doubt about the stock, and can't get a hold of a vet, maybe give one of the neighbour's a quick call - most people are more than happy to help when there's trouble afoot.

Take care and keep your chin up.

ljV":2vtj8c3z said:
Vet came - tail first, dead. Vet told us it was a very weird presentation and hard to detect to someone new to calving. Learned from our mistake. Yes, thought it was stage 1 when it was actually stage 2. Shame on us, but I came here for advise, not ridicule.

Your gettin advice you are dang lucky you are not putting a bullet in that heifers head as well, some breechs can't be pulled.
If there is one thing I can not stand is people letting cattle suffer for no reason.

Latest posts