Heifer Hernia?

Help Support CattleToday:

amateurcowpoke

Reaction score
I have a jersey heifer that recently got herself stuck in a place where she should not have been. She tried to get herself out when by squeezing herself between some boards. I had to pull some nails and free up some boards and she is now free. I noticed later that she has a small bulge (apple sized) about 12 inches in front of her udder. Is this a hernia? Getting stuck did not put any boards other things in contact with her belly but being stuck probably generated significant pressure on her abdomen. I was wanting to breed her but now I am not sure what to do. Any body help?

:welcome:

By your description it could just be loose skin at her navel. Could also be a hernia or an abscess. If you had a picture it would be more helpful. Can you catch her to feel of it?

slick4591":32otxhfd said:
:welcome:

By your description it could just be loose skin at her navel. Could also be a hernia or an abscess. If you had a picture it would be more helpful. Can you catch her to feel of it?
If you can feel it does it feel hot to the touch and does she have a temp?

How old is this heifer? Did you notice the lump before she was stuck in the boards (even if it was smaller) or was this something that appeared only after getting stuck? With a hernia if you GENTLY push on the mass it will push back inside the abdomen.

Victoria is right - if it's a hernia it should be possible to return the swelling to the abdomen.
A hernia needn't stop you from breeding her. The heifer I had with one resolved as she got older and it was never a problem. The vet attempted twice when she was a calf to fix the hernia and both attempts failed.

It is more than likely it is just fluid, oedema, from the trauma to her ribs. This fluid will gravitate to the underline and sag around the lower points. It is usually evident a day or two after the trauma.
Ken

regolith":3ed1vga5 said:
Victoria is right - if it's a hernia it should be possible to return the swelling to the abdomen.
A hernia needn't stop you from breeding her. The heifer I had with one resolved as she got older and it was never a problem. The vet attempted twice when she was a calf to fix the hernia and both attempts failed.
Kind of off topic but still relevant- does your cow throw calves with hernias? We had a heifer with a fairly large hernia and did not keep her as hernias can be a hereditary trait.

No, she's the only hernia I've seen in the herd. She's gone now, but had four calves before she went open. None of them were heifers, so they would have left the farm very young.

regolith":2yjhvb3c said:
No, she's the only hernia I've seen in the herd. She's gone now, but had four calves before she went open. None of them were heifers, so they would have left the farm very young.
Thanks, just curious.:)

Latest posts