Heifer head too big?

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa

Reaction score
I bought a couple British White heifers a couple months ago. I didn't notice the head on the one, as she was eating in a bale ring, and I was mostly focused on temperament and other things. Anyway, got her home and was looking and the head started bothering me. Almost looks like a buffalo, or I believe I've heard the term pallet head.

Undesirable for say, calving ease?

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2178.jpg

Are those Ponderosa Pines in the photos ? Absolutely beautiful ,,,, WOW what scenery ,,,, breathtaking .

Your heifers look great, you are over thinking too much ... ;-)

I don't know your operation or where you're from, but could I ask, "Why British Whites?" Just seems like there are a lot of breeds that are more money makers than them. Just wondering, gs

well i am no expert but i think your heifers look good and u should enter your pics n a contest.oh and i never would of thought of comparing them to buffalo.

Yes, those are ponderosa pines after a snow storm over a week ago. It's near record warm today at 50 degrees, so it's all gone. I'm near Spokane.

I don't know if I qualify as having an "operation." Just a few acres and a few cows. My interest is in figuring out desirable and problem free small acreage cows. I'm trying British Whites because I like the way they look, and I don't like black cows in the heat (yes, we can get to 100). Plus my daughter likes them and she's going to get married this summer by that wood fence to the right in the second photo. The heifers will be in all the wedding photos. :)

I'm probably overthinking, but that's what I do, and don't want to mess with calving issues. Thought I'd read that wide heads can be more problem.

LRTX1":1m6t96je said:
Maybe that other one just has a small head..... :lol2:

Well, she is the dumber one.....

Doesn't seem like the info below is a big deal with many.
http://www.wikihow.com/Judge-Conformation-in-Cattle

The Forehead: the forehead (from the poll [the top-most point of a bovine's head] to just above the eyes) in a bull should be wide, but not so much so to make him look like he's got what's commonly referred to as a "pallet head." In most bulls, like Charolais and Herefords, curly hair on the forehead commonly symbolizes a bull's good fertility and masculinity. Calving-ease bulls tend to have a smaller head in proportion to the rest of their body than bulls who are not considered calving-ease.
In cows, it should be the opposite. A cow's head should look more feminine and refined than a bull of her breeding.

Nothing wrong with either head although the one on the right would be slightly more desireable in a heifer.

Thanks, just wondered. That being said, I really like the way they look, wish I had a herd. Wouldn't worry about the head, some of are just not as pretty as others. gs

Wow, beautiful, but I don't want it. The weather I mean.

The heifers are fine. Sure, people refer to herefords and Charolais sometimes as pallet heads, but I really think that the shoulder size is more important than the head. When the calves comes out it can have any size head, but normally the shoulder is where the calf sticks (if it does at all). If you're concerned, breed them a low birthweight bull - which you normally do on heifers anyway. Since you don't seem to be a really big operation, you could also wait to breed them until they are a little larger - most people breed heifers when they are still growing, somewhere around 15 months.

Having said that, though, I really don't think you have anything to worry about. These would only be things that would increase your success chances. After a heifer has a first calf, assuming everything is ok, her chances of having calving difficulty are greatly reduced on the 2nd calf.

Just my :2cents:

They look good. I wouldn't worry about the head. I am curious why they still have fly tags in. We always take them out at the end of fly season to avoid resistance problems.

novaman":1nau0p9u said:
They look good. I wouldn't worry about the head. I am curious why they still have fly tags in. We always take them out at the end of fly season to avoid resistance problems.
what do u mean about resistance problems if the fly tags r left n?

piedmontese":ow5lj0e0 said:
novaman":ow5lj0e0 said:
what do u mean about resistance problems if the fly tags r left n?
Because the effectiveness of the tag has declined to the point that the pesticide is very weak which can contribute to resistance. It may make the bug sick but it doesn;t kill it. Therefore it beocmes more resistant

Thanks for the replies. End of discussion on head size. Like you say, if shoulders are limiting factor, head doesn't matter as much.

As for the fly tags, I guess I haven't thought about it. Kind of like not noticing my wife's new hairdo. Didn't even know they were fly tags, as I've never used them myself. I got the heifers in late November past fly season and they still had them. They do seem more balanced with a tag in each ear, but I suppose I ought to get rid of them.

Latest posts