Heifer for inspection/critique

Help Support CattleToday:

VaCowman

Reaction score

First off, what do you think this girl needs? Aka, what are her flaws...rip her up if you have to, I have thick skin.

Next, what bull would you use on this girl? She is due with her first calf this week. I've got a few ideas, just curious what others saw in this cow. I'm not a number chaser, and to be honest, extreme numbers are the first thing I cull a bull for. Not saying it's the only way to select bulls, just that it is what I do. I prefer a proven, balanced bull. She is out of Hoover Dam from a commercial cow I raised out of a SAF Focus of ER son. I like moderate framed cows with avg to slightly below avg milk, good feet and good udders. I prefer a "cow bull" since she's scheduled to have her first calf this week...no need to overdose on calving ease. I do not supplement the cows, just good hay and grass for my girls. They either work for me or they find another job. Heifers are developed slightly, with a 60-90d background period and then it's the best pastures I have until breeding. Once bred, they're kicked on grass and hay (with mineral, etc.) until they become an official member of the team by producing a calf and keeping it alive until weaning. Alright, there you have it, lets hear what you have to say. :hide:

Nice heifer. Like her hip and udder. I'd like to see a little more depth of body/length of rib. But she may grow in to that.
I don't want monster cows, but I do like deep bodied, soggy cows.
Unless your trying to save PB Angus daughters out of her, I'd breed her to a good Hereford bull.

Overall she looks to be a lovely feminine heifer. Couldn't see enuff of her udder to pass judgement. My singular complaint is a pet peeve...ie her tail head appears to be tilted upwards & high set. Perhaps an illusion due to her stance on uneven ground coupled with the fact that 1st CH's close to calving often display a bit of a dip in front of the hooks. Hope all goes well with her pending motherhood. Post some post calving pics!

76 Bar said:
Overall she looks to be a lovely feminine heifer. Couldn't see enuff of her udder to pass judgement. My singular complaint is a pet peeve...ie her tail head appears to be tilted upwards & high set. Perhaps an illusion due to her stance on uneven ground coupled with the fact that 1st CH's close to calving often display a bit of a dip in front of the hooks. Hope all goes well with her pending motherhood. Post some post calving pics!

My thoughts too.. maybe she just got up and was still in "stretch" mode, but I think the tailhead is a bit prominent, but that's not a fault that would affect her production from my experience

Lovely cow, nice feminine head, well balanced body, nice teats and what looks to be a good udder. Tail head was my first thought too but of course no animal is perfect. She does look a bit lumpy but that most likely is just condition in transition. Nice angle and length from hip to pin. I would like to see her walk because her front shoulder looks a bit straight but really hard to judge in a still photo.

Overall a very nice cow.

Latest posts