heifer drama - calving

Help Support CattleToday:

jcarkie

Reaction score
monday night i had my heifer moment, big brangus cross, bred to my "heifer" bull, well she wasn't making progress. so i was going to try to help, she would not be still for that so round and round we went she would not have any of that.
so at 3:00 a.m. i am hooking up the trailer to go to the vet. in the mud and the snow that was falling at 4:30 we have a big bwf steer,got to bed at 5:00a.m.. head swelled and tendons drawn(to long in the birth canal). one leg just the bottom tendon, the other leg won't work from the knee down, splinted the legs. today he is working 3 legs good and the other is almost there, he is getting around good.
so much for heifer bulls perfect record, 1st calf i have had to pull.
love those heifers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't lay all the blame at the bull's feet - that "big brangus cross" heifer you love soooo much had a lot to do with it! :) All's well that ends well, though.

yeah i know she has some simmental in her too!!! her dad was simbrah and her mom a brangus looking cow. the cal was hopping up and down this afternoon and has got one of the splints so he will be fine...

jcarkie":34z2z2qp said:
it was a full moon that night we had 4 calves born 2 steers, 2 heifers.

I read about the calves with no eyes, had one last year with no tail. I;ve never seen anything but heifers born that didn;t have nuts.

dun":2wnoe3b6 said:
jcarkie":2wnoe3b6 said:
it was a full moon that night we had 4 calves born 2 steers, 2 heifers.

I read about the calves with no eyes, had one last year with no tail. I;ve never seen anything but heifers born that didn;t have nuts.
maybe he's speaking future tence :lol: ...like was said can't lay it on the bull....those epd's can't predict where they will wind up.

Latest posts