Heifer Claimed

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
The heifer that showed up when my fence was down has been claimed. I reported the story on here about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The first guy I called which is the guy that I share the boundary fence with called to say he is missing a heifer. I am sure she is his. He said when I called he was not aware she was missing. I told him she was in poor condition and I vaccinated, wormed and treated her with sustain Boluses. He offered to pay me. I declined payment. To me it is better to put a favor in the bank than to take a few bucks. I figure someday I may need to collect on my favor when the stakes are higher.

I kinda got attached to her. She is a piece of crap but had a nice disposition.

midTN_Brangusman

Reaction score
That is a very neighborly gesture on your behalf. I had one get out last year, after I finally found her in his lot and convinced him she was mine I asked the neighbor how much I owed him, he said about 5 round bales. Took him some $hity hay that had been weathered a couple years. I know he didn't spend anything on her since he doesn't feed his own. I couldn't see charging a neighbor anything for a day or two's board unless it became a regular thing. :2cents:

OP
B

Bright Raven

Reaction score
midTN_Brangusman":2aq3qapi said:
That is a very neighborly gesture on your behalf. I had one get out last year, asked the neighbor how much I owed him, he said about 5 round bales. Took him some $hity hay that had been weathered a couple years. I know he didn't spend anything on her since he doesn't feed his own. I couldn't see charging a neighbor anything for a day or two's board unless it became a regular thing. :2cents:

I agree. What if one of mine gets out on him? Or I need a favor that only he can help with, for example, access across his farm, etc. You just never know.

TCRanch

Reaction score
I'm glad you did the right thing but kind of sad she's going back where she isn't cared for. Would he sell her?

OP
B

Bright Raven

Reaction score
TCRanch":2a6y14hh said:
I'm glad you did the right thing but kind of sad she's going back where she isn't cared for. Would he sell her?

I commented that he needs to improve his genetics as a kinda joke. Tom and I are friends. He said he bought a few head that was rough to feed out. So yes, she will be sold.

It tells you a lot that he did not know she was missing until this morning and I have had her about 3 weeks. Lots of cattle are poorly cared for, that is a fact!

TCRanch

Reaction score
Bright Raven":6ou3nt0z said:
TCRanch":6ou3nt0z said:

I commented that he needs to improve his genetics as a kinda joke. Tom and I are friends. He said he bought a few head that was rough to feed out. So yes, she will be sold.

It tells you a lot that he did not know she was missing until this morning and I have had her about 3 weeks. Lots of cattle are poorly cared for, that is a fact!
I meant sell her to you. You never know what a little love & attention will do - she could end up being one of your faves :)

OP
B

Bright Raven

Reaction score
TCRanch":1j9pgybs said:
Bright Raven":1j9pgybs said:
TCRanch":1j9pgybs said:

I commented that he needs to improve his genetics as a kinda joke. Tom and I are friends. He said he bought a few head that was rough to feed out. So yes, she will be sohere ld.

I meant sell her to you. You never know what a little love & attention will do - she could end up being one of your faves :)

No way. Her pelvis is awful. I even wonder if she is fully developed. Her vulva is microscopic. That can be a secondary trait of a freemartin.

TCRanch

Reaction score
Bright Raven":2m4288hz said:
TCRanch":2m4288hz said:
Bright Raven":2m4288hz said:
I commented that he needs to improve his genetics as a kinda joke. Tom and I are friends. He said he bought a few head that was rough to feed out. So yes, she will be sohere ld.

No way. Her pelvis is awful. I even wonder if she is fully developed. Her vulva is microscopic. That can be a secondary trait of a freemartin.
Well, in that case . . .

reeler

Reaction score
Bright Raven":1xx3cb5v said:
Jogeephus":1xx3cb5v said:
Good to hear it all worked out and glad you did what will benefit your karma in the future.

Building a bond with a neighbor has no bounds.
Thanks for sharing your story, it made my day! :)

Latest posts