Heifer Claimed

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
The heifer that showed up when my fence was down has been claimed. I reported the story on here about 3 or 4 weeks ago. The first guy I called which is the guy that I share the boundary fence with called to say he is missing a heifer. I am sure she is his. He said when I called he was not aware she was missing. I told him she was in poor condition and I vaccinated, wormed and treated her with sustain Boluses. He offered to pay me. I declined payment. To me it is better to put a favor in the bank than to take a few bucks. I figure someday I may need to collect on my favor when the stakes are higher.

I kinda got attached to her. She is a piece of crap but had a nice disposition.

That is a very neighborly gesture on your behalf. I had one get out last year, after I finally found her in his lot and convinced him she was mine I asked the neighbor how much I owed him, he said about 5 round bales. Took him some $hity hay that had been weathered a couple years. I know he didn't spend anything on her since he doesn't feed his own. I couldn't see charging a neighbor anything for a day or two's board unless it became a regular thing. :2cents:

midTN_Brangusman":2aq3qapi said:
That is a very neighborly gesture on your behalf. I had one get out last year, asked the neighbor how much I owed him, he said about 5 round bales. Took him some $hity hay that had been weathered a couple years. I know he didn't spend anything on her since he doesn't feed his own. I couldn't see charging a neighbor anything for a day or two's board unless it became a regular thing. :2cents:

I agree. What if one of mine gets out on him? Or I need a favor that only he can help with, for example, access across his farm, etc. You just never know.

TCRanch":2a6y14hh said:
I'm glad you did the right thing but kind of sad she's going back where she isn't cared for. Would he sell her?

I commented that he needs to improve his genetics as a kinda joke. Tom and I are friends. He said he bought a few head that was rough to feed out. So yes, she will be sold.

It tells you a lot that he did not know she was missing until this morning and I have had her about 3 weeks. Lots of cattle are poorly cared for, that is a fact!

Bright Raven":6ou3nt0z said:
TCRanch":6ou3nt0z said:
I'm glad you did the right thing but kind of sad she's going back where she isn't cared for. Would he sell her?

I commented that he needs to improve his genetics as a kinda joke. Tom and I are friends. He said he bought a few head that was rough to feed out. So yes, she will be sold.

It tells you a lot that he did not know she was missing until this morning and I have had her about 3 weeks. Lots of cattle are poorly cared for, that is a fact!
I meant sell her to you. You never know what a little love & attention will do - she could end up being one of your faves :)

TCRanch":1j9pgybs said:
Bright Raven":1j9pgybs said:
TCRanch":1j9pgybs said:

I commented that he needs to improve his genetics as a kinda joke. Tom and I are friends. He said he bought a few head that was rough to feed out. So yes, she will be sohere ld.

I meant sell her to you. You never know what a little love & attention will do - she could end up being one of your faves :)

No way. Her pelvis is awful. I even wonder if she is fully developed. Her vulva is microscopic. That can be a secondary trait of a freemartin.

Bright Raven":2m4288hz said:
TCRanch":2m4288hz said:
Bright Raven":2m4288hz said:
I commented that he needs to improve his genetics as a kinda joke. Tom and I are friends. He said he bought a few head that was rough to feed out. So yes, she will be sohere ld.

No way. Her pelvis is awful. I even wonder if she is fully developed. Her vulva is microscopic. That can be a secondary trait of a freemartin.
Well, in that case . . .

Bright Raven":1xx3cb5v said:
Jogeephus":1xx3cb5v said:
Good to hear it all worked out and glad you did what will benefit your karma in the future.

Building a bond with a neighbor has no bounds.
Thanks for sharing your story, it made my day! :)