Heifer Calves to Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
These two are 1/2 sisters. Out of the same sire.

#59, straightbred Hereford. Born Mar 10. BW 104 lbs. Her dam is probably our best cow. This is her 4th calf. Her avg WW on 3 steers is 681 lbs.

#83, Hereford sired out of a Black Angus x cow. Born Mar 6. BW 98. She was a backwards calf at birth. Her dam is just a good solid cow. This is her 7th calf. Average WW on 6 calves is 575 lbs.

those are some nice heifer calves.if they was in my pasture.they would be in the keeper pen at weaning time.

Really nice calves.

don't know why you would cull them on their BW's. what if his herd average was 100lbs, then 98 would be below average. BW fluctuates heavily with environment, therefore one really shouldn't say cull when they don't know the cows. Just my opinion. Those heifers could go down to your place and have 70lbers due to the environment, who knows.

what if the herd average was 60lbs and one of the bulls you had was 85lbs. That is 25lbs over the average. should that bull be kept?

However i agree it is high, but I don't know the entire story either

Randi
They're no good, just plain no good, so box em up and ship em South we'll try to find a decent home for them somehow.

Seriously nice girls good job.

The point is, Randi has cows that are able to cope with these bw's.

Thats what we need to aim for - females that can cope with a big calf.

Nice heifers btw, the second one strikes my eye a little more - like her heavier bone.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I like them both, and they are off a couple of our best, most reliable cows. 3way, I just don't know how well they will box up. 'Ol # 83 is a hands off kinda cow.... :lol:

You guys can have your light BW calves. Our herd average is in the 90-95 lb range. We don't run into major problems with calving ease either. Nice long well built calves that come out and hit the ground growing. Chances are pretty good that both of those girls will end up in the keeper pen this fall.

Latest posts