Heifer/Bull ratios

Help Support CattleToday:

We're running 2:1 bulls to heifers with 1 left to calve so the ratio isn't changing at this point....unless some bulls start identifying as heifers. It started out all bulls and finally had a few heifer trickle in.I wonder if last year's weather.....cool spring w/ very rapid warm up in June had anything to do with it.

Last year was the year for terminal calves. So of course we had all heifers. This is the year for herd growth, so of course we've only had bulls. We're small, so that doesn't help when you have so few cows to help add to your growth. After last fall, I was told I was not to buy any more cows this year. Instead we bought a sweep and squeeze chute.

At the least the two little bulls we have are up and moving well, looking healthy and happy.

Half way done today. Sitting 50/50 so far. Wouldn't bother me if the rest were bull calfs.

12 down, 8 to go, 8 bulls 4 heifers is the current count..

really fat, small framed cow just had a monster, few days overdue, true to her style.. Now she'll just have to feed this thing, it's gonna be hungry

I've had 4 heifers to 7 bulls. One set of bull/heifer twins - both small but healthy. Had to pull one dead heifer calf to a 1st timer. Not my favorite day.

Latest posts