Heifer breathing hard

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
My heifer, which I think is pregnant, and should calve in late July or august-- was breathing very heavy today. The other two with her seemed OK. It was hot today, but not humid and she has shade in the loafing area. Is this normal?

OK think about this. If you were 7+ months pregnant wouldn't you be hot and miserable wether you were in the shade or not?

Ask any woman who has been pregnant in the heat of the summer.

Muratic":5em7byfk said:
OK think about this. If you were 7+ months pregnant wouldn't you be hot and miserable wether you were in the shade or not?

:lol2: :lol2: Sorry lancemart, nothing personal, but Muratic has a good point.

msscamp":11fe81f7 said:
Muratic":11fe81f7 said:

:lol2: :lol2: Sorry lancemart, nothing personal, but Muratic has a good point.

The humidity also has something to do with it.Also if her tummy was full..... ;-) :cboy:

lancemart":ppcpwe6d said:
My heifer, which I think is pregnant, and should calve in late July or august-- was breathing very heavy today. The other two with her seemed OK. It was hot today, but not humid and she has shade in the loafing area. Is this normal?

If you can get her in where you can take her temperature, that would tell you whether or not she might be ill. Breathing hard could be anything from side effects of pregnancy, to pneumonia or diptheria.

Linda":1nxk5zbo said:
If you can get her in where you can take her temperature, that would tell you whether or not she might be ill. Breathing hard could be anything from side effects of pregnancy, to pneumonia or diptheria.

Good advice. If they are grazing fescue, it can also add a little temp and some cattle are more sensitive than others. You can't do anything about the fescue issue, but if she's sick, you need to get her temp down.

don't think there is any fescue in rhode island, is there? i agree it was probably the heat. some don't take heat as well as others. was she breathing hard or just shallow & fast?

She was breathing shallow and fast, on a full stomach after eating very green pasture. She is getting very big and I cut way back on her grain. How can I tell when the day is near. I did not keep track of when she was bred. Probably Nov or December 2004

Latest posts