Heifer After Giving Birth

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a first time heifer that gave birth to a calf Janurary 29th. That makes the calf 10 days old today on Feb. 7th. The heifer looked clean afterwards and showed no sign of problems. Today, she has a bit of blood crusting and some blood in mucus hanging on her tail Not much, but just enough that I thougt I needed to question. Does anyone find this to be normal 10 days afterwards? She seemed to pass the afterbirth with no problems.

It can last up to a couple of weeks post delivery. Just part of the cleaning process. Unless it really, really stinks, just ignore it.

dun

heifers and second calf heifers seem to take longer to clean than an older cow... I just guessed it was because it was their first and second times and their bodies had to adapt to cleaning quicker.

My Jersey did the same thing after her first calf.(which had to be pulled all the rest she's done on her own). I was unsure, sought the advice of a professional, and Jersey was fine. She took about 2 weeks to clean herself. No stink, she should be okay.

Katherine

Keep an eye out. I ahd one do it and like DUn said the smell is the tip off. I put some bolluses in her and it cleared up.

Scotty

One thing to keep in mind, when you ''go in'' to clean, check or medicate it is very easy to cause an infection. Afterbirth looks ''nasty'' to us and we think it should be gone. Sometimes we are in a hurry to help and actually make things worse. Always give them time to do what comes naturaly. Dun as usual is on target.
your friend
Mike

I didn't want to take action if it wasn't needed. I just want to be a step or two ahead of "what if." Today she still had a bit of coagulated blood on her tail. I am not sure if it is from yesterday since it has been misting since then. But she appears to be fine now.

i have 2 questions first when a jersey heifers bag starts to show mostly in the rear udder and her teats have dropped about how far along bred is she. second katheien did you just raise her calf on her or did you put other calves on her as well and if so how many being this is her first time. thanks for all replys and advice.

cleav wrote
i have 2 questions first when a jersey heifers bag starts to show mostly in the rear udder and her teats have dropped about how far along bred is she. second katheien did you just raise her calf on her or did you put other calves on her as well and if so how many being this is her first time. thanks for all replys and advice.

I cannot answer the 1st question regarding how far along bred the Jersey heifer is. I think they are all different. When my Jersey was pregnant with her first calf, she gradually built a bag over the course of her final month. And from what I can recall(in her case) it was fairly even development in all 4 quarters.
For the 2nd question, yes I did raise her first and all her subsequent calves on her. She had/produces plenty of milk. The first calf, I put one additional calf on her. Since then I have put 2 extras on her, usually I'll put one extra....it all depends on her condition and how she holds up with all that exra drinking by the calves. And, with all that, she will still produce enough for me to grab a quart here and there for the house.
This is how it has been for me with the Jersey I have. I hope this helped.

Katherine

Latest posts