heifer after calving

Help Support CattleToday:

brimmer X

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. We had a heifer put up in about a 3 acre lot, to calf, along with some breeding age heifers and a bull. Went to feed them Saturday morning, and all came running to the troughs except this pregnant female. Saw her slowly approaching from behind the pond some distance away. She proceeded to lay down by the trough and appeared to be going into labor. She got up kicked and licked at her side all signs of calving. I thought she looked a little thinner than the day before, like she might have calved but unsure. The wife went to the barn to get the tractor and stated there was a dead calf in the barn. At this point, I just knew she was in trouble and trying to have another calf that must be coming wrong or something.

We pinned the heifer and called the vet. He came out, gloved up, and checked her out. He could find no calf and said the cervix was closing as it should after calving. There was no blood, and stated the symptoms she was showing were very unusual. The symptoms continued for sometime that day.

The next day (Sunday) she was not having the symptoms, but moving very slow. I went to the barn and noticed some after birth hanging on a panel about 6 feet from where the calf was laying. I got to wondering if after giving birth, she might have hooked the after birth on the panel and pulled it out before it was ready. She is moving better but gets up slowly. I hope this does not hinder her in breeding back. She is a Hereford X Charolais cross that was bred to an angus bull. The calf looked to be about 55lbs. Anyone experience this behavior and thoughts on her breeding back?

IDK? Lots of possibilities. Probably too late for a shot of Lute. If she goes off feed I'd hit her with some long lasting antibiotic to ward off a possible infection if you think she retained part of the afterbirth. LA 300 would probably do or you could opt for something more expensive.

As for keeping her.... I'd ship her. But that's just my opinion. Don't make it right.

Latest posts