Hegari and Catjang Cow Peas Seed

Help Support CattleToday:

Allenw

Reaction score
I'm old school about some things, been looking for some hegari and catjang cow pea seed not having any luck. I have a couple more places to check before giving up. Used to be no problem finding hegari, catjang have sometime been difficult to find.

I wouldn't mind trying some forage soybeans sometime, would have to order the seed in. It's been so dry here there hasn't been much demand for seed so nobody has brought much in. Iron and clay peas can usually be found, victors and red rippers are common also.

In south Ga, I've had better luck with Iron and clay than forage soybean for grazing. I use them more to diversify my sward and to add a palatable legume (with positive beef flavor profile attributes) than to increase tonnage. Millet is backbone of our summer annual plantings since the sugar cane aphid invaded the sorghum family.

I have not come across either the Hegari or the Catjang.

I don't know what you are looking for but this past winter I planted a field in Austrian Winter (Field) Peas with some Jumbo Rye. Got the nodules on the peas and made a super crop......I put 7 bales of it on about 30 cows and it was 80% gone the next afternoon and all in 2 days.....I wasn't able to get it dry enough when baling and it was getting hot in the roll so I just fed it......the cows were between winter hay (running out due to a bad winter) and spring grasses and needed the nutrition obviously.

jdg":3mivo50x said:
In south Ga, I've had better luck with Iron and clay than forage soybean for grazing. I use them more to diversify my sward and to add a palatable legume (with positive beef flavor profile attributes) than to increase tonnage. Millet is backbone of our summer annual plantings since the sugar cane aphid invaded the sorghum family.

I have not come across either the Hegari or the Catjang.

Hegari is an older variety open pollinated sorghum. I like it for making hay, it doesn't get as tall as some varieties but still has as many leaves.

Catjang peas are a viney type cow pea they keep growing through out the season, you would probably like them if you tried them. I don't think their seed production is real high because of this compared to some other varieties.I know they're always a bit higher then other varieties when you find them. They have a small, black, round seed that flows through the drill a bit too well. I've been able to find some listed online by food plot sellers, pretty steeply priced bought would be a way to get a start for seed sometime if I find no other source.

I'm trying to chase wheat and rye that is a bust to drought with something and get back to either wheat, canola, or rye this fall. I'll plant what ever cow peas I can find on part of it, maybe most of it. I can find some Sumac cane seed instead of the Hegari and mix with peas for hay. If I get a good stand of volunteer crabgrass I may run with that on part of it, I'm flexible.