Heavy Bred Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I sold my yearlings and have been buying heavy breds this spring. Prices are my buying barn have been going up about $100 a week. Started are $1318 straight thru five weeks ago, and had to pay $1725 straight thru this week. I had to get more selective as the prices went up. Now buying only young cows.
The put together herd soon goes to a remote pasture to see who measure up. :cboy:

Stocker Steve":1719veuh said:
Fun if they stay healthy. I have learned to hit them hard on arrival. They get seven shots and a probationary ear tag.

If your going to give that many shots at once, make sure you keep a bottle of epinephrine on hand in case something goes into shock.

bigbull338":zkg462z5 said:
hope you dont have any drop dead on you working them that hard.

Scours and fast pneumonia are the historical issues. There may not be enough time to get two Scour Bos shots in, but PM1 seems to be effective.

i just got a price on 6hd of reg beefmaster heavy bred heifers for $2150 now and $2500 after they calve.ill prolly be looking at $2500ea since im going to wait 2wks before i make my mind up.

bigbull338":3q1vqdl7 said:
i just got a price on 6hd of reg beefmaster heavy bred heifers for $2150 now and $2500 after they calve.ill prolly be looking at $2500ea since im going to wait 2wks before i make my mind up.

Do you think it is worth $350 each to calve them out?

yeah because of their breeding.and it would save me from having to keep them penned till they calve.plus im going to wean 3 heifer calves in 3wks and i need my corral.im going to a sale in 10 days that has 10hd that will work great for me.and im going to see if they all go way over $2500 to $2700 a hd/pair.

bigbull338":1zxym3dy said:

I am glad I bought the bred cattle when I did cause my friend I normally buy from is following those prices now as he exits the cattle business. I locked in before.

sky i may lock that $2150 in and take all 6.ive got a friend that i trust to look at them if we can set it up.and he said we will just take them all if they are good.

Stocker Steve":2yun2og0 said:
I bought 3 young red/rwf today, for $1633 straight. One is bagging, two are "8 months."
I was second bidder on the young blacks. :cry2:
Sell a $1100 calf off those and it don't leave you having much left in the cows. :nod: Good lick !!

Young pairs hit $2,600 this week. Seems like more and more folks are optimistic. :banana:
Can still can get some heavy breds for $1700 to $1900 if you can wait a week, and are not biased about blacks. :nod:

I had a little patch of grass with no cows on it but plenty of grass. Last week I picked up two older skinny pairs with 200 pound black whiteface steer calves for $1,100 a pair. The cows hadn't seen much feed in a while and never seen wormer. I wormed them and kicked them out to grass. There is a lane they need to go down to get to the field but the lane has plenty of grass. Two days later they still hadn't made it more than 200 feet down the lane. Too busy eating to go explore. Something tell me that I will come out on these two.

Dave":n9bessoy said:
The cows hadn't seen much feed in a while and never seen wormer..

Some low input operators can not afford wormer nor cross fencing. I feel sorry for their herds.

I have not seen $1100 pairs. :shock: The calves must be worth at least $500 each. Why didn't they split them?

the lest amount of meds you can put in a cow the better off you are.now im not talking about worming or doctoring a cow if they need it.we rarely worm or have a sick cow that needs meds.because if we do they are usually to far gone and will die anyway.

Dave":1q587lll said:
I had a little patch of grass with no cows on it but plenty of grass. Last week I picked up two older skinny pairs with 200 pound black whiteface steer calves for $1,100 a pair. The cows hadn't seen much feed in a while and never seen wormer. I wormed them and kicked them out to grass. There is a lane they need to go down to get to the field but the lane has plenty of grass. Two days later they still hadn't made it more than 200 feet down the lane. Too busy eating to go explore. Something tell me that I will come out on these two.
Wow!! What a deal. The calves alone are worth $500+ each. Not just a home run but 2 grand slams. By next spring the cows will be fat and calves huge.Should double your money on them.

Texas PaPaw":13ekhktw said:
Dave":13ekhktw said:
Wow!! What a deal. The calves alone are worth $500+ each. Not just a home run but 2 grand slams. By next spring the cows will be fat and calves huge.Should double your money on them.

They wont be here next spring. Come October they will all get a trip to town. Right now I am out the purchase price and a few bucks for vaccine and wormer. I am not investing any more into them. They are eating grass that would have gone to waste. When the grass is gone so are they. Hopefully they gain a lot of weight. Jewels to look at they are not but I do believe they make me money.

Latest posts