Heatwave Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

karlie45

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I haven't been on here in like, forever, but i thought i'd stop by and have you take a look at my heifer. Its my last year showing 4-H, and its time to wrap up my show career, which is really bitter sweet to me. After this summer of showing, i plan on moving far far away and just taking a break ;-) . Anyway, I wanted to share some pictures of Gucci. This is a home raised heifer by Heatwave (idk what clone) and a commercial ex show heifer. There are some things I wish I could change, to start, thats stupid neck of hers!! She'll be making friends with a neck sweat, thats for sure.
Sorry for how goofy she is standing, its like day 2 halter training so she doesn't really get the whole stand normal thing yet.
gucci.jpg

also, can someone please tell me why her hair is really thin some places? Its not all scabby like with ringworm...
gucci2.jpg

hopefully you can see her back leg a little better in this one, its more awkward but at least she's standing half way normal...
gucci3.jpg

Anyway. Thoughts/Opinions are welcome. Thanks!

Frist off i'd like to say you never leave the show bussiness.... ;-)
Your are right she needs a good neck sweat. It also looks like she is a little bow legged,idk probably just the pic, but other wise real nice, and lots of hair. She also has a real nice wide rump, and bigged boned. I real like her natural pose pic the best of them.
Good Luck

Only fault is she isn't the most feminine heifer out there, but she'll likely improve with age/puberty, she is really thick, though and that always help in the showring. The hair loss is probably lice, but could also be some form of mange, Ivomec will help with either.

I agree with Knersie, I would get her cleaned up, use a good pour on and start working her hair. She has the Heat Wave look to her, almost to the point of better as a market heifer than a breeding heifer. Her neck does need a sweat, and a clip job would make things look much cleaner as well.

Good luck

(I am of the school of thought that 90% of the HeatWave heifers need to be terminal, some will make great cows most will not)

Thanks for the input! After I posted the pictures I talked to my vet about the rubbing and we did a pour to help clean that up.
sim.-ang.king":1mo7dtsy said:
It also looks like she is a little bow legged
I notice that in the pictures too, she's kinda standing in that "I'm about to pull any second now" stance, I haven't noticed it in person, but I'll give her a really good look over tonight and see if i can spot any issues with her back legs.

Knersie, I agree she's not the most feminine, she came out of a non-feminine cow so we weren't really expecting miracles. I agree that is a major fault of hers, but I'm also a little worried about her size, she's a tad smaller than the rest of the heifers right now.

VCC, Im with you on the clip job! I think she'll be a whole different animal once i get her all pretty;) About the whole heatwave heifer being terminal thing... She will be shown as a heifer, anything further than that we will see. If she wants a spot in the herd, she will have to earn it.

Thanks again guys, all the input is needed, I want to make this last year count!

Don't worry about her being bandy legged, once she fill out she'll look "more normal" all you need to read into it at the moment is that she has the potential to have a very wide base width with well filled out thighs. She's got enough substance that a little shorter stature isn't going to hurt her at all.

Latest posts