Heated water bowls

Help Support CattleToday:

whiskyb

Reaction score
I recently installed a new heated bowl. Their original tank was about 10' away although not heated. I drained the original so as to force them to use the new one. Every time one of my cows would use it, it seems that they would get shocked. I have since unplugged it, and went back to using the original. Now in trying to find out what is going on I have found upwards of 8-10 Volts AC across any ground and the water itself. I installed a ground plate directly to the tank and buried it about 4' down. I have plugged the bowl into a GFI outlet and still the same problem. With winter coming I need to find out an answer to this soon.

Any ideas?

Whiskyb

I have checked at the panel which is almost directly below the transformer on the pole and found only trace amounts. The ground wire is intact coming down the pole but I have yet to dig up and inspect the plate or rod. I have thought that the actual problem could be in the well and is coming thru the water as opposed to the electrical line but not sure how to test for that. This is a leased barn and the owners are very rarely around the property. Almost never come winter.

whiskyb":yaq3639a said:
I have checked at the panel which is almost directly below the transformer on the pole and found only trace amounts. The ground wire is intact coming down the pole but I have yet to dig up and inspect the plate or rod. I have thought that the actual problem could be in the well and is coming thru the water as opposed to the electrical line but not sure how to test for that. This is a leased barn and the owners are very rarely around the property. Almost never come winter.

Unhook the power to the water tank heater then test for current. If there is still, then you know it is not from the heater's power source.

It is possible that your heating element is shorting out. Take it out and check it.

unhooked the power and tried it again with nothing showing. It is a new unit so I am hoping that all is fine. I am going to disconnect it and bring it back to the house and hook it up to try it on a different power line. Their is a ton of information if you google "stray voltage" I am hoping it is something different as their does not seem to be much that you can do.

Thank's
Whiskyb

Latest posts