Heat Tolerant Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

brihop

Reaction score
I'm really surprised that there are not more SenepolXContinental bulls covering the high % brahman cow herds in the south. You'd think that 100% Bos Taurus, heat tolerant, hybrid vigor, with a dose of growth from the continental would be just what the doctor ordered!

SenepolXGelbvieh bull over Brangus cows... wouldn't get better than that in my opinion.

SenepolXSimmental or SenepolXGelbvieh and you could still retain heifers, SenepolXLimi or Char and you have some kickin' market calves!

In the south it's a no brainer. BrahmanxEnglish cross covered with a continental bull. No need to try and chase down a line of bulls that have failed to breed true. Folks at RA Brown ranches tried the senepol breed and they couldn't make it work for them.

There is also another cattle operation down in SE Texas that mine flew over a load of Senepol on a DC-10 to test and they turned out to be a very expensive lesson on what happens when you try and reinvent the wheel. "BrahmanxEnglish cross covered with a continental bull" is the way to go down south.

Pineland":15r2u2f3 said:
There is also another cattle operation down in SE Texas that mine flew over a load of Senepol on a DC-10 to test and they turned out to be a very expensive lesson on what happens when you try and reinvent the wheel. "BrahmanxEnglish cross covered with a continental bull" is the way to go down south.

I agree with you and Houston, no need to re-invent the wheel.

houstoncutter":3st0mbok said:
In the south it's a no brainer. BrahmanxEnglish cross covered with a continental bull. No need to try and chase down a line of bulls that have failed to breed true. Folks at RA Brown ranches tried the senepol breed and they couldn't make it work for them.

That's why I just picked up 20 bred tiger and braford heifers and gonna put a char bull on them in Jan. :cowboy:

Hopefully they are F1"s, but if not you still got a winner....Congrats.....What time of the year do you market your calves?

houstoncutter":1ugr3y73 said:
Hopefully they are F1"s, but if not you still got a winner....Congrats.....What time of the year do you market your calves?

Fall - Aprilish
Spring - Septemberish

For the Australians:

Have you any experience with the Belmont Red breed? This breed looks like it is one of the better Sanga based synthetic breeds. What has been you experience with them?

circlew":2sy5r25k said:
houstoncutter":2sy5r25k said:

Fall - Aprilish
Spring - Septemberish

I asked because if your selling calves in the winter, I would go with the Char bull. The fall calves I would use a Limi. Nothing much better than a Limi to clean up that extra leather and ears. A fullblood Chiania would be the best, but their are few of those in the country.

circlew":27tuydnm said:
houstoncutter":27tuydnm said:

Fall - Aprilish
Spring - Septemberish
Im gonna sell ealier this year if the prices are good,,, around augustyish :cowboy:

houstoncutter":i5sh07jc said:
Never been around them, what's the issues with the Senepol cattle?

I am running a few senepol females, really like them. Good dispostion, good mothers, graze when others are in the shade. Mine raise decent calves to be 1000-1100 lbs cows. I wouldnt be too fond of a senepol x bull but, I think the right full blood bull would make good replacements in the right herd.

I bought this set bred, they calved in the fall and weaned at 500lbs. For the amount of grass and hay they got over the winter I was happy. I dont know what they were bred to. Around these parts thats a pretty respectable weaning weight with no creep. We dont have the quality grass as others in different parts of the world. I am looking forward to see what they will do with spring calves.

1) For those of you in the south with large herds, you never had any problems with the straight continental bulls getting out and covering cows in the heat? I just thought the senepol influence would put him out there more covering cows harder in the mid day sun. Also, an F1 cross bull would just add even more hybrid vigor, right?

2) On a related note, someone I know has registered Charolais cows. They're looking to pick up a bull to get them bred, however there are no affordable Char bulls available in the area right now. My opinion is that they should buy an available Braunvieh bull instead of the usual black angus so that the resulting bull calves are more marketable as breeders (being 100% high growth continental blood). What are your thoughts?

What makes you think that the f1 bull would add hybrid vigor to cross bred cows?? The people with the Char cows just need to add a few miles to their search. There is char bulls some where.

Correct that a PB bull over true F1 cows (of different breeds than the bull) would provide 25% more heterotosis to the calf crop than F1 x F1. I was thinking the vigor of the bull, not the calf crop... of course crop is more important though.

Speaking of HV, some big outfits like Adams Ranch and King Ranch are doing RA/GV composites with Gert and Braford... RAxBraf X GVxBraf. & RAxGert X GVxGert. Seems to me that theres not enough brahman blood in there, not only for heat tolerance, but I thought that cows needed at least 25% brahman blood to be able to restrict the birth weight of their calves. Also, curious about the point of doing that final cross which brings the RA & GV blood together, isn't HV is only diminishing? If they really wanted to bring all the breeds together then why not cut to the chase and put a balancer bull over the braf or gert cows and be done with it?

Sorry 'bout the rambling thread here!

So far I like the cross of the Braunvieh on Charolais. My steers sold well this year, and have held back all my heifers except a pair of twins. I think they'll make good replacements, they're hippy and have held there own considering our pasture situation. Colorwise, most will be white, tan, or pale yellow with a dark nose. I'll try to post some pictures soon. There is a ranch in Kansas that has used the cross to increase the milking ability of their charolaise. If they go back with a Char bull I'd bet all calves would look charolaise. Double R ranch I believe is the one using that cross.

brimmer X":15lwdiqd said:
So far I like the cross of the Braunvieh on Charolais. My steers sold well this year, and have held back all my heifers except a pair of twins. I think they'll make good replacements, they're hippy and have held there own considering our pasture situation. Colorwise, most will be white, tan, or pale yellow with a dark nose. I'll try to post some pictures soon. There is a ranch in Kansas that has used the cross to increase the milking ability of their charolaise. If they go back with a Char bull I'd bet all calves would look charolaise. Double R ranch I believe is the one using that cross.

Maybe they should have charolais cows, but use charolais bulls instead?

They run char. Bulls here in the rice fields and marsh . They look like crap when they pull the bulls in October . They go on feed until march and then back with the cows .