Heat Stress or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

VAStocker

Reaction score
How much rise in temp. should I see in heat stress? Vet. says he has taken temps. in heat stressed calves of 106 and did nothing. That just seems real high to just be heat related.

Whats going on with the calves? Are they getting down or what? I say just keep plenty of water around, and shade. Luckily around where I live, its getting cooler weather now. I love it, but seems to bring out more insects. Oh well, cant complain.

106 seems high to me, too, but it depends on what the environment temps are. My vet says in a calf the regular temp s/d 101.5, but heat stress can cause that to go to 103. Higher than that indicates a problem.

And, like Limo said - what are the calves doing that you decided to take their temps? Are they having difficulting breathing?

That sounds too high for heat stress ALONE.
I see 104-104.5

Also-- a fresh calf that has been severely heat stressed is likely to get sick-- so we treat anything over 104.5 . Might be a few that weren't getting sick but useing a long acting antibiotic its still in their system when they do.
Hitting them with a short acting antibiotic is throwing money away.

VAStocker":29qxnb9v said:
How much rise in temp. should I see in heat stress? Vet. says he has taken temps. in heat stressed calves of 106 and did nothing. That just seems real high to just be heat related.
I also agree 106 is to high maybe try a shot of banamine, try anything as for other opinions its not throwing money away unless you want to see him dead

How good is the vet? How much confidence do you have in him/her?

dun

Vet is real good probally the best in our area I have a lot of confidence in him. The reason I got the calves up was I had to pull one that was showing some respitory issues and 2 more came with him so I decided to check them while I had them in the chut and started seeing that even these calves that looked good in the pasture had a high temp. as well.

Latest posts