Heat Detection

Help Support CattleToday:

I used Red and Green ones last year. Very visible and I was very pleased at how they worked for me. I did have maybe 4 fall off, but that was on 150 cows.

so it worked as advertised for you?...Im considering using it but wanted to get some input from people who have already used it to see how good it works compared to what the advertisments said.

Yes they worked as advertised. Some cows with really long winter hair need to be clipped first. That was why I had some cows loose them. But that wasn't very many. The colors show up very well when riding through the herd. They stick out like a sore thumb.
:)

We have the the Estrotect patches and like them. The problem of some cows losing them can be solved by putting a little extra glue on them. Get the glue that is used for Kamars (another type of patch) and you will have to work to get the patch off. A bigger problem is the cows rub them under tree limbs. Usually you can tell the difference between a mark made by a tree limb and a mount from another cow.

Good luck.

Farmgirl

I'll stick with my 5 month old bull calf for heat detection. Cow won't "lose him" and you can see the little "heat detector" at a half mile.

Latest posts