Heat Cycle

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
I usually calve in the fall and turn my bull in with the cows around Christmas. I normally leave him in till close to the end of March. I have two cows that are bulling at this time, however they showed no signs of a heat cycle at anytime before now.
What are your thoughts on this?

I have had heavy bred cows mount each other, could be some kind of hormone surge prior to calving. When in doubt, preg check.

I generally dont worry much about a little mounting behavior until they do it again in three weeks then consider preg check. lifes to short to get tore up over an open cow.

They do that sometimes.
In all probability, two calves have slipped and the cows have returned to heat.
But there's enough chance of them doing this while pregnant that I would first look for other signs of pregnancy, then get them preg-checked if still uncertain, before doing anything drastic like culling them.
Cows on the point of calving being ridden is fairly common. Occasionally cows have apparent standing heats while pregnant, either every three weeks or just a one-off to perplex their owner.
Also possible that the cows were not cycling and their hormones have finally sorted themselves out - got one in my herd obviously not going to calve, her last cycle would be about ten months ago.