Hearing aid

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to go see about my hearing.
Have'nt been able to here out of my right ear since a Viet Nam adventure with a landmine.
Now my hearing in my left ear is starting to fade a little.
So I rekon I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and have it checked.
But I guess it comes with age and firing guns.

Cal

Cudos for being mature enough not to let "pride" get in the way----Never could see the why it was something to be proud of,haveing sombody yelling in your ear ,cause you thought it made you look old to wear a hearingaid.
Makes you look like a fool NOT to do something!

Ps-thanks for your service :heart:

Calman":10gz1ut5 said:
Looks like I'm going to have to go see about my hearing.
Have'nt been able to here out of my right ear since a Viet Nam adventure with a landmine.
Now my hearing in my left ear is starting to fade a little.
So I rekon I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and have it checked.
But I guess it comes with age and firing guns.

Cal

I have two hearing aids. Comes from old age I reckon even though im 31. HA

But look at the bright side. You can always "forget" to put them in or "forget" to turn them on. Selective hearing at its finest can be a good thing.

And yes, thank you for your service.

Word of advice on hearing aids:

I've had my hearing tested several times over past 20 or 30 years. Good and bad results. Here are some caveats:

• 1. Only have your hearing tested at a quality provider.
    2. Only have your hearing tested at a provider that has a SOUND PROOF BOOTH.
    3. Avoid those hearing aid places that ONLY have a portable Audiometer.
    4. Using a portable unit DOES NOT exclude background noise completely and will give inaccurate results.
5. Portable units are used for hearing SCREENING and are not Clinical Quality units/setups.
6. Audiometric Technicians are not necessarily quality trained for "medical hearing" evaluations.
7. "Hearing Aid Centers" should be checked out thoroughly...their main job is to SELL Hearing Aids.
8. If you are a Veteran, get an appointment at a VA Center for hearing test.
9. There is a VERY HIGH profit margin on all hearing aids. Play their game: Then, negotiate.
10. Even the "high quality" digital, tuneable units will NOT filter out all background noise.
11. Hearing aids are designed to "eat" batteries...don't buy from the hearing aid centers...
12. The "in the ear" units are significantly more expensive than the "behind the ear" units.
13. Remember: A hearing aid is merely $25 worth of microchips. The $200 or so exam and programming. The rest is manufacturer, distributor, wholesaler, retailer PROFIT!

I know...I've been there...had one several years ago...broke it. I can still read, write, and let my wife do our telephone work and network with others. Yes, I can still hear...what I have to...lol.

grannysoo":3bjx7ow4 said:
But look at the bright side. You can always "forget" to put them in or "forget" to turn them on. Selective hearing at its finest can be a good thing.

And yes, thank you for your service.

Damned right I hear what I want to hear LOL!

do what, ay what, what d'ya say, Oh a hearing aid why not, best invention since glasses. I'd have one if I needed to. why be proud. and only hear half the conversation.

5 years or so, at the urging of all members of my family, I went and had a test. Actually pretty good hearing on very low sounds, but the tester said they never saw anyone drop off the scale or whatever measurement they use so fast. Higher pitch sounds, like my wife's voice…I have trouble with. And it's been that way for years. They had four different types, from small to large….the very largest is the only one they said would do me any good. $4000 for both ears, and with that….I walked out.

So…they still put up with a loud TV at my house.

Do birds actually chirp?

I lost 80% of my hearing in my right ear about 6 yrs ago it has partially returned is at about 60% now
they wanted me to have a Cochlear implant was about $10,000 for the operation and implant they say it is the only thing that will fix mine, what is funny I can hear high frequency sounds an electric motor running,the refridgerator will wake me up at night because it sounds like a car engine in the drive way
I have a problem with background noise if the person speaking to me is on my right side I have a hard time hearing them

just be sure you go to an audiologist to be checked
I went to a ENT frst and he set up my appointment with the audiologist

and heck I ain't know where near as old as you Cal

When i was a teenager a bunch of my friends and i went swimming on the river and got into a mud ball fight with the local natives. I got hit in my right ear by a large mud ball :mad: and my hearing in that ear has never been right since then.
Women with high pitched voices give me the most trouble trying to understand them.

My son has no left ear-the bones are in there,but they are frozen. Balance is no prob, he is in construction,walking I-beams every day-he also is a talented musican(altho he plays heavy metal,so I don't like it) and builds beautiful electric gutars with the equivelent of stone and bone tools. The only problem he has is he has to turn to tell where a sound is comeing from..

Running Arrow Bill is right in all of his advice. It is not easy to start wearing them. If they are adjusted correctly and you get what you need, after you have used them for awhile, you will not be able to be without them. They will totally change your quality of life. If you get cheap ones that do not help your individual situation, and all they do is magnify sound, you will become very frustrated and you will never wear them and you will have wasted your time and money. Hope you find what helps you

stocky":28gou05x said:
Running Arrow Bill is right in all of his advice. It is not easy to start wearing them. If they are adjusted correctly and you get what you need, after you have used them for awhile, you will not be able to be without them. They will totally change your quality of life. If you get cheap ones that do not help your individual situation, and all they do is magnify sound, you will become very frustrated and you will never wear them and you will have wasted your time and money. Hope you find what helps you

If they are a good audiologist they will make ear molds and send them off to the hearing aid company to have the hearing aids built to fit your ear comfortably. Also, if they are all digital they should be able to hook them up to a computer while you have them in your ear to program them for you.

Latest posts