healthy beef...not here

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm glad there are beginning to be other outlets and marketing opportunities for beef. It can be good for all of us. Like Bez said, most people want the cheapest meat they can buy but like AC said, there are some who want to feel they are eating a healthier cut of meat and will be willing to pay a premium. Its good for all of us.

What it seems to me is that this company didn't do their homework. Probably about like my sister-n-law who is a nutritionist and has written several college textbooks on food but when it came time to cook Thanksgiving dinner imagine my surprise when there was the plastic bag bull of the giblets and such inside the cooked turkey. :shock: :lol2:

I guess what I'm saying is that you could work with them and teach them something about the cattle business. If they are willing to listen and learn you could possibly build a good deal with them. I would caution that many of these "organic" or "natural" food deals may not get off the ground due to price - like Bez said. For instance, a good friend of mine dumped a lot of money in leasing 100 plus acres of certified organic blueberries. He bragged to me about the premium he was going to get and how great the market was. Upon "hand picking" them all, he was only able to sell 20% of the crop - the rest rotted in storage since the organic market wasn't quite what they made it out to be.

exactly Jo only thing with beef over blueberries or some other types of products is with beef you can still have time to market a different way the calves I implant aren't done til weaning because that is when I buy them so I watch the all natural market and see how the trends are going if I feel I need to implant the calves I raise then I can still do it I am not opposed to implants but just trying to say that you can make as much money without them if marketed correctly

I agree. Flexibility is the key to every successful enterprise. That is why I like hearing about new opportunities and outlets for our product. The old saying about not putting all your eggs in one basket is true for both these scenarios. I felt the blueberry deal sounded too good to be true and like you pointed out, our crop is not perishable like produce so we can shift gears in mid-stream or sit on them if need be.

I guess he didn"t think about Blueberry wine. We all got to be looking for opportunities to market our products better. The smaller producer your are the more it will help.

Red Bull Breeder":393t5h99 said:
I guess he didn"t think about Blueberry wine. We all got to be looking for opportunities to market our products better. The smaller producer your are the more it will help.

I think he was able to salvage some of the crop to juicers but he lost his tail nonetheless. Personally, I think he should have made some ethanol out of them.

Red Bull Breeder":2oq5c9e1 said:
Honestly i hope they keep implanting the more the better, just insures my Hormone, Antibotic free market stay good.

Indeed. More and more people are looking for this and will pay extra for it. That's what we do too.

Being a small operation and selling to a select market we stress our hormone free, natural beef. In fact, it is the basis of our marketing program and is doing well for us with our customer base growing every year.
the customers that we encounter at the markets always ask the same questions...how was the animal raised, grass finished and hormone free is where the market is heading and it is not the yuppies and granolas, it's Joe Sixpack's wife paying me $5.00 a pound for ground beef and $4.00 a dozen for big brown eggs and carring a basket full of fresh produce.
I get asked what I can do the Costco can't when it comes to our beef...I simply tell them that I can show them the animal's great grandmother...the big stores don't even know what country the meat comes from.
The market is heading toward a more healthfull product and I believe that the folks that fill this need will put alot of extra nickles in their pockets.
And thats my two bits worth....asked for or not.
Dave Mc

Smaller markets will demand certain things and the larger will demand what it wants. Until we see a shift in the obesity level and an overall increase in health practices of the American peoples , we will continue where we are now.

Where we are right now is in my hmo OK. It comes down to moderation coupled with exercise.

Latest posts