Headgate - Need some advice soon

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
Found an ad in the local shopper for a headgate and made a call on it. It's a Pearson (sp?) about 10-12 years old with attachments. One attachment is a tray for under the chin. The other attachment is for anti back-up. They want $250.00 for the works. Please give some opinions on this brand and price. Thanks for any input.

$250 is not bad if you need one. Generally head gates work, period, no matter who built them. It is all a matter of getting accustom to using a particular one. You can easily modify them and if you don't like or want the assessories, take them off. I'd have a catch pen on the outside of that one, just in case you miss. I also prefer a tapered catch versus a straight vertical catch. Others will argue the opposite.

Check it out and see if it is in good condition. If you need it, buy it. You can usually get your money back out of it later if you decide to go with something else.

Having a head gate sure beats not having one.

You need to decide if the attachments are something you will use or need. For $75 - 100 more you can buy a new head gate by itself. If it's in good shape and it's a design that suits you,I think you should buy it.

htrc":ekd7suxh said:
For $75 - 100 more you can buy a new head gate by itself.

??? Please let me in on your shopping sources. I know a guy who just spent $275 just on freight to get one he wanted.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but I personally would not like this gate. have to set it for different neck sizes and very clumsy to operate. I personally prefer the Priefert auto catch gate, no adjusting and it works smooth as a baby's bottom.

Cabo":3a4bqan6 said:
I don't mean to rain on your parade but I personally would not like this gate. have to set it for different neck sizes and very clumsy to operate. I personally prefer the Priefert auto catch gate, no adjusting and it works smooth as a baby's bottom.

Cabo, you are not raining on my parade at all. I really want opinions, good or bad on the headgate in order to help me make some kind of decision. We currently are using a homemade contraption that if this one is a good price and good quality I would maybe upgrade. I see you used the phrase "clumsy" to operate. Could be a serious issue for me! :oops:

Thanks all for your input and time, I really do appreciate it.

I can go to various dealers and buy just a headgate anywhere from $325-$850,just depends on what you need or are wlling to spend. Did not say the $325 hd. gate was going to be the best quality,but if you are just going to work a few cows a couple of times a year,it would get the job done. If you are going to use the hd. gate hard then you should look into a more expensive,higher quality product.Along with working cattle,I work in town at a feed,farm supply and livestock equipment store. It is a very competitive market, beat your dealer down on the price a little. They should have a little play in the price.

backhoeboogie":36ok6zbq said:
htrc":36ok6zbq said:
  • For $75 - 100 more you can buy a new head gate
by itself.

??? Please let me in on your shopping sources. I know a guy who just spent $275 just on freight to get one he wanted.
would'nt want to latch a bull to one like that. a bull sheared some teeth off at the gum line on a feller and broke his jaw near us a month ago. when the handle flew back as the bull lunged foward

ALACOWMAN":2yi46ne2 said:
backhoeboogie":2yi46ne2 said:
htrc":2yi46ne2 said:
by itself.

would'nt want to latch a bull to one like that. a bull sheared some teeth off a feller and broke his jaw near us a month ago. when the handle flew back as the bull lunged foward

He probably wouldn't have a bit of problem buying quality in the future. Dental work is extremely more expensive. :lol:

backhoeboogie":3ewqccuf said:
ALACOWMAN":3ewqccuf said:
backhoeboogie":3ewqccuf said:
htrc":3ewqccuf said:
by itself.

would'nt want to latch a bull to one like that. a bull sheared some teeth off a feller and broke his jaw near us a month ago. when the handle flew back as the bull lunged foward

He probably wouldn't have a bit of problem buying quality in the future.
  • Dental work is extremely more expensive
. :lol:
not in alabama... the bull probably done him a favor :p

You can have the most expensive headgate on the market,or something in the middle.You can get hurt by any of them if you are not on your toes and thinking about what you are doing. I got an arm smashed a few months ago by a shorthorn cow in a Sibley chute,no broken bones but will takea while longer to fully heal.It was my fault.I knew the cow was goofy and I got my arm above her head,I knew better but was in a hurry. I'm not saying we should go out and buy the cheapest Hd gate made.Just think people should think about what and how they are going to use it.

htrc":1rme8smu said:
You can have the most expensive headgate on
  • the market,or something in the middle.You can get hurt by any of them
if you are not on your toes and thinking about what you are doing. I got an arm smashed a few months ago by a shorthorn cow in a Sibley chute,no broken bones but will takea while longer to fully heal.It was my fault.I knew the cow was goofy and I got my arm above her head,I knew better but was in a hurry. I'm not saying we should go out and buy the cheapest Hd gate made.Just think people should think about what and how they are going to use it.
thats true... you can have all the bases covered. but when you got a ton animal in it you dont have time to worry if its gonna hold em. are something gonna come apart

htrc":2mvteojy said:
Just think people should think about what and how they are going to use it.

Absolutely.

I don't necessarily look at equipment as is so much as I do its potential. Can I modify it easily to suit my wants or needs?

I know several places that I visit,places with more than 100 hd of momma cows, that don't have the quality of equipment they need and it makes for a long day and sometimes gets people and /or animals in a wreck.I have been to many places that a equipment salesman has told them that they need several thousand $ of heavy duty equipment to work 30 head of cows. It's nice to have those nice facilities,but I think that it can be overkill.

MistyMorning":3v0wp737 said:
Found an ad in the local shopper for a headgate and made a call on it. It's a Pearson (sp?) about 10-12 years old with attachments. One attachment is a tray for under the chin. The other attachment is for anti back-up. They want $250.00 for the works. Please give some opinions on this brand and price. Thanks for any input.

I bought one last summer at an auction that was in real good shape-- and thats what I had to pay for it ($250)...I mounted it in the barn to use for calving and luckily haven't had to use it yet....The new ones I priced in our area were $600...

It may not be everyones brand of choice, but a deal is a deal. I would definitely buy it for that price. If you have extra money to play with then go with Powder River IMO.

Latest posts