head butting

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a one year old bull that I am considering showing. He is extremely gentle and loves his daily brushing. My concern is that he will often try to nudge me with his head. I realize that this is his way of playing but I am worried that as he gets bigger this my become a real problem. Do you have any suggestions in humanely stopping this behavior?
Thanks

grazeland farms":2x0qpffh said:
I guess I am trying to decrease this behavior with as little negative reinforcement as possible.

Well, All I can say is negative reinforcement is good when it comes to a bull swining his head at you. He will hurt you.
You have the right idea in wanting to stop it now, but you are going to have to wack him to make him realize he shouldn't swing at you. Either use the end of the halter, your fist on his nose or cup your hand and pop it over his eye. Worst case, get a ball bat.
If he has horns, a show stick or scotch comb across the horns will wake him up.
Better to give him a head ache than him to put you in the hospital. He can do that with out meaning to. I'm sure you realize that.

Got a bull that we show also. In our breed, we have to put nose-rings in to show. Doesn't completely stop him, but he knows when he goes to far. ;-)

warpaint":1alblf58 said:
Got a bull that we show also. In our breed, we have to put nose-rings in to show. Doesn't completely stop him, but he knows when he goes to far. ;-)

A Nose Ring should take care of the problem. As far as I know, it's mandatory to Show a Bull of any breed.

cowboy13":j3735u0y said:
AAOK":j3735u0y said:
warpaint":j3735u0y said:

A Nose Ring should take care of the problem. As far as I know, it's mandatory to Show a Bull of any breed.

Thats what I've always been told.

A permanant ring is not mandatory. I showed a yearling in Louisville a couple years ago with the "bug" that clips in. I still have no need for a perm ring in his nose at home.
Grazer's problem right now is at home.

Latest posts