keeping head up

Help Support CattleToday:

rimranch

Reaction score
I have a steer that if fully broke to lead but recently he become really heavy headed and i can not get him to hold his head up. I have been tying him up everyday for thirty minutes but so far no improvment and it has been over a month. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for getting heavy headed steers to raise their head?
thanks
rimranch

tie up for 2-3 hours and it's helps a lot. Stay in the barn and scratch him and watch that he doesn't lay down.

iowahawkeyes":2894yxta said:
tie up for 2-3 hours and it's helps a lot. Stay in the barn and scratch him and watch that he doesn't lay down.

You got that right. I have found that tying up for several hours is the only way to make them light on their head. Also this helps when you show because they won't want to lay down quite as soon. They will be used to standing for hours.. :D

Colorado2008":2798aels said:
iowahawkeyes":2798aels said:

You got that right. I have found that tying up for several hours is the only way to make them light on their head. Also this helps when you show because they won't want to lay down quite as soon. They will be used to standing for hours.. :D
only way to do it

thanks guess i will just increase the time
Another question is can their head ever be tied to high?

yeah thirty minutes a day doesn't really help 2-3 hours really helps strengthen there kneck. But I wouldn't go and start him at 2 or three hours yet work up to that for know tie him up for an hour or soo for a couple of day and work your way up

Latest posts