Hazard pay.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Again just for discussion.....lol

So it's been said that employees deserve hazard pay for working right now. I'm not arguing that . But how much.
Say your ac goes out for example. How much extra would you be willing to pay for a repairman to come out and get your dust all over him.
What about a small store owner, working his counter( probably among the most dangerous job right now). How much can he mark up items to cover the hazards he faces plus increased cost. Where is the line between hazard pay and price gouging??

Not sure on the difference, but there has to be a fine line there, it should still come down to his own decision, if he doesn't feel safe then maybe he should close down or dress for the occasion like wearing a mask or other things for protection, our line of work isn't much different being in the trades, I told my guys that as far as working if you dont feel safe, then dont come in, and don't come in at all if you're sick.

haase said:
Not sure on the difference, but there has to be a fine line there, it should still come down to his own decision, if he doesn't feel safe then maybe he should close down or dress for the occasion like wearing a mask or other things for protection, our line of work isn't much different being in the trades, I told my guys that as far as working if you dont feel safe, then dont come in, and don't come in at all if you're sick.

I knew you saw things for real with the comment you made about my truck being down. ( I've got backups btw). Most people hause haven't got a clue on the extent of something like that. They expect to be paid hazard pay by their employer. ..but I'm curious how many would be willing to pay extra for service right now......and be ok with that.

I think it's a good question and probably will be seeing that happen soon, I know I'm not raising the price of putting up a building because of it, when this is all over people will look at companies that did this, and might feel that they were just being gouged.

haase said:
I think it's a good question and probably will be seeing that happen soon, I know I'm not raising the price of putting up a building because of it, when this is all over people will look at companies that did this, and might feel that they were just being gouged.

I agree completely and i will not be raising prices. More like lowering them. The Kung flu discount. Lol
I find the hazard pay thing not a good idea.
But there's been several who disagree. Thought they might want to throw in their two cents....
Maybe not....we can always talk about toliet paper

A big part of what I do for a living is flipping foreclosed properties. I'm using this slowdown and overall lack of work for subcontractors in my area to practice some reverse price gouging. I'm slashing what I'm willing to pay for all sorts of tradesmen on a take or leave it basis.

Survival of the fattest.

Like all costs of doing business, I think it's acceptable that any increased cost in wages such as hazard duty pay be passed on to the consumer. I wouldn't expect a business owner, especially small business owners to have to absorb all of it. I already get kinda burned when I see a fuel charge or hurricane infrastructure repair charge on my electric bill.
Who to offer it to? Hard to say, but I would certainly be ok with doctors, nurses and other medical personnel getting it, along with fire/paramedics and police. There are quite a few police officers coming down with covid-19 in NYC already just due to their everyday person-to-person interaction with the public.
Is it a case of "It comes with the job..they knew it when they took the job?"

It's a slippery slope tho.
If a drilling crew is drilling along and take a downhole kick, the risk of harm increases dramatically if they aren't on their toes, sometimes even if they are the best there is..does HD pay kick in as soon as the kick happens and ends once the kick is circulated out?
more questions than answers...

Should it be mandatory? I dunno. That should probably be best left up to the owner of the business. I firmly believe the business owner has to have a good working relationship with his employees every day no matter what..neither one running too much roughshod over the other.

How much? No more than $0.94/hr would be max I believe. That's based on a 40 hr work week X4=160 hrs/month. 160 hrs ÷$150=$0.938 per hr.
(I could probably support a bit more for nurses and radiology techs....they put up with a lot of risk every day even in 'normal' times.)
IMO, doctors already make a **** pot full of $$..

People working in essential services that require close proximity to the public like grocery stores making minimum or near minimum wage should get hazard pay. People in non-essential work away from the public like putting up fence in a mesquite patch should not get hazard pay.

ga.prime said:
People working in essential services that require close proximity to the public like grocery stores making minimum or near minimum wage should get hazard pay. People in non-essential work away from the public like putting up fence in a mesquite patch should not get hazard pay.
Fair enough
I don't think I know any fencer's that would ask for hazard pay. I guess your trying to insult me personally now. ...I'll gladly take it for the opportunity to hear your infinite wisdom. Thanks for posting. Prime .

There is never a one size fits all rule. I don't think hazard pay is necessary but I don't think it should be held against them if they choose to be cautious. As a company I would open up sick days, vacation days, etc to accommodate these people if they have them. I have always believed in you get paid when you work. If they have the money saved to stay home so be it. I also don't have a problem with going on unemployment for leaving your job due to this. That is what it is there for.

I have a friend who has two kids with compromised immune systems. He already has to be very careful just day to day. When this broke out early on he spoke with his company and requested to work from home. They accommodated him. One week after working at home some one was confirmed in his office. The office eventually was completely closed like most others. Had his company took a hard nosed approach they would have lost a good employee for what was about to happen a week later any ways.

To be honest, I would be leery of treating your employees bad during this time. I'm not saying to baby them, but I guarantee you if you take a hard nose approach social justice will bite you in the rear. They are already hitting businesses on social media for doing good or bad. That is also how we get legislation handed down. If you don't want big brother telling you how you will handle it next time... its probably best to be reasonable with your employees.

If none of that matters to you... remember... Karma is a bitch... also known as the golden rule. :tiphat:

Wife works at a bank. They're paying staff an extra $50 per shift HD. Son #4 works for Kroger, a lil extra for HD. I am an RN and daughter #1 works in a different hospital. Neither of us are receiving HD pay and doubt we will (both involved with direct pt care). I'm fine with that. Would be nice, but I understand the financial strain this will put on many HC facilities and most HCP understand the risks going in. Also, HD pay just means something different to me from a military vet perspective(combat, flight, parachute, submarine, explosives, hazmat, etc)

TennesseeTuxedo said:
The above is somewhat tongue in cheek but I am seeing guys lower their prices to stay busy right now.

Your actually probably doing a very good thing.
We've lost three jobs to the current situation.
Fortunately I've sold two very large jobs that I actually bid before the world came to a end.
We will have work for several weeks. But still we've lost income. Last week on finishing up a project, the customer mentioned some more work he needed in the near future. I cut him a deal and offered to let him pay me as he could.
He saved a little, and I created another week of work for my men. A regular customer that moved work up right now to help fill the gaps , I would gladly cut them a deal.

callmefence said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
The above is somewhat tongue in cheek but I am seeing guys lower their prices to stay busy right now.

Your actually probably doing a very good thing.
We've lost three jobs to the current situation.
Fortunately I've sold two very large jobs that I actually bid before the world came to a end.
We will have work for several weeks. But still we've lost income. Last week on finishing up a project, the customer mentioned some more work he needed in the near future. I cut him a deal and offered to let him pay me as he could.
He saved a little, and I created another week of work for my men. A regular customer that moved work up right now to help fill the gaps , I would gladly cut them a deal.

Fluid situations such as we find ourselves, require greater flexibility and willingness to focus on win-win solutions. Good on you for looking out for your men and your customers. :tiphat:

bball said:
Also, HD pay just means something different to me from a military vet perspective(combat, flight, parachute, submarine, explosives, hazmat, etc)
It's what I based the
No more than $0.94/hr would be max I believe. That's based on a 40 hr work week X4=160 hrs/month. 160 hrs ÷$150=$0.938 per hr.
on.

for 2020, military basic haz duty pay is $150/mo. (flight/sub/exp ord disp/ etc is different...and for good reason.)

Yep. Nevertheless, all those duties receive extra pay because they are hazardous( I am not up to date on current rates, but agree, rightfully so). That's what I was driving at anyway. In USAF, I was an ATC, but was assigned as an augmentee to the EOD team and got to train with and assist them. The reality of things that go boom is truly hard to fathom until you see it firsthand. Then, I also had the good good fortune to be trained/certified for bio hazmat decontamination. Ahh, the good ol days. Funny, more than 27 years later, that training is quite beneficial in my current career.

The company i work for has done a few things extra during this time. They have gave us a additional 3 weeks of personal time to use for anything related to Cov19. If we don't need to use it then at the end of the year they will pay us out on it. Also they are giving us 25$ gift card per week for the next few weeks at local restaurants. And they have us a 3$ a hour raise that will be permanent.

pricefarm said:
The company i work for has done a few things extra during this time. They have gave us a additional 3 weeks of personal time to use for anything related to Cov19. If we don't need to use it then at the end of the year they will pay us out on it. Also they are giving us 25$ gift card per week for the next few weeks at local restaurants. And they have us a 3$ a hour raise that will be permanent.
Can I retire and come work with you? Unless you are in the medical field. Then good luck

pricefarm said:
That's a pretty good deal IMO. Sounds like a good company. They are supporting their employees and other business in the area.

If people will take a similar mentality we will all be good.

Latest posts