Hazard, KY

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Oliver Hazard Perry, United States commodore who led the fleet that defeated the British on Lake Erie during the War of 1812, is who the city of Hazard, KY is named after. The county takes his last name, Perry County. I worked for Tesoro Coal Company there from 1974 to 1978.

When I lived there, a small hillbilly guy took his trashy mountain girlfriend into a bar. 3waycross would have found her to his liking as he confesses to being fond of fat butted females on the trashy side. As they walked past the bar, a big underground miner who was the size of Dan Blocker got up from his stool wheeled to go to the bathroom and ran over this guy's girlfriend. Knocked her over and her butt made a loud slap as it hit the dirty oak floor. The hillbilly pulled a revolver but before he could use it for its intended purpose, the big guy who had on a white T-shirt and still had black coal dust covering his face, grasped the revolver in his hand, threw it on the floor, picked up the little hillbilly, carried him to the door and threw him out into the parking lot. The night wore on and the bar closed. The big guy left the bar (Perry County is wet) and went to a near by diner that was open all night for breakfast. He sat at the counter with his back to the door. Behind the counter was a mirror that was the full length of the counter. The last thing he saw was an image in the mirror of the little hillbilly guy as he stepped through the door, drew down with a fully automatic .45 caliber Thompson machine gun and send a burst of ½ inch balls of lead at him, 5 of which hit him straight up the back. The rest broke the mirror behind the counter.

I could see that one coming from here.
Sounds like the big fellow was also dumb.
Don't mess with little people. They will hurt you. I have known some. A couple of them used pistols and others a shotgun. That's not counting knives.

Ryder":3n4kik72 said:
I could see that one coming from here.
Sounds like the big fellow was also dumb.
Don't mess with little people. They will hurt you. I have known some. A couple of them used pistols and others a shotgun. That's not counting knives.

Or when you mess with 'em make sure you end it then and there. ;-)

In the 30's, great numbers migrated from Perry County to Scott Co., IN. The weekly paper there in Scott Co. used to have "news from Perry Co" and "news from White Co." To keep the folk connected to the homeland. Many friends are from there. And yeah, it was a brawlin' kind of place. A place with a lot of stories. To go to Scott Co. is to pass through a time warp. We sophisticates in Jefferson Co. used to mock them, but now I kind of admire them.

john250":2g3btmwp said:
In the 30's, great numbers migrated from Perry County to Scott Co., IN. The weekly paper there in Scott Co. used to have "news from Perry Co" and "news from White Co." To keep the folk connected to the homeland. Many friends are from there. And yeah, it was a brawlin' kind of place. A place with a lot of stories. To go to Scott Co. is to pass through a time warp. We sophisticates in Jefferson Co. used to mock them, but now I kind of admire them.

That is a whole story I will tell here sometime. People from that area are as you say in a time warp. I love those people. If I had to find someone to stand with me in circumstances that would make your own mother turn her face from you, those are the people I would want.

I know several people from that area. Rougher than a cob. One fella I know spent 3 tours in Nam as a door gunner on a Huey. He said he loved it. He said Nam was the most fun he ever had. A hillbilly paradise. Free beer and got to shoot as much as he wanted. He lost an eye there and had a glass replacement. I had to go get him at a biker bar one night when he took out his glass eye and dropped it into the beer of one of the bikers just to start a brawl. The bar tender said that he gave as good as he got against 3 bikers. I found him in the parking lot under his truck beat up pretty bad. Two of the bikers were taken to the ER.

The elderly lady that owns the property that I have hunted for 20+ years was from there. She is in her 80's and still totes a .38 with her. She is a great lady and like a second mother to me. I have known her since I was 4 years old and she used to tan my hide when I needed it and kiss my cuts and bruises when I got hurt. Salt of the earth people.

inyati13":1mgp22u1 said:
Oliver Hazard Perry, United States commodore who led the fleet that defeated the British on Lake Erie during the War of 1812, is who the city of Hazard, KY is named after. The county takes his last name, Perry County. I worked for Tesoro Coal Company there from 1974 to 1978.
This is what a lot of us think of when we hear Oliver Hazard Perry. The initial ship (Hull#7 in the background below) as well as that whole class of USN FFGs (frigates) carry his name. Great ships, with 50,000hp on demand almost instantly. Couldn't keep up with a Spruance class destroyer, but then they only had 1/2 the hp of a Spruance class.

pf5w.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Haz ... ss_frigate

greybeard":2vgy1fk5 said:
inyati13":2vgy1fk5 said:
This is what a lot of us think of when we hear Oliver Hazard Perry. The initial ship (Hull#7 in the background below) as well as that whole class of USN FFGs (frigates) carry his name. Great ships, with 50,000hp on demand almost instantly. Couldn't keep up with a Spruance class destroyer, but then they only had 1/2 the hp of a Spruance class.

pf5w.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Haz ... ss_frigate
Thanks, Greybeard. Just wonder, you ever been to Bertram, Texas.

HOSS":1e76o8m1 said:
I know several people from that area. Rougher than a cob. One fella I know spent 3 tours in Nam as a door gunner on a Huey. He said he loved it. He said Nam was the most fun he ever had. A hillbilly paradise. Free beer and got to shoot as much as he wanted. He lost an eye there and had a glass replacement. I had to go get him at a biker bar one night when he took out his glass eye and dropped it into the beer of one of the bikers just to start a brawl. The bar tender said that he gave as good as he got against 3 bikers. I found him in the parking lot under his truck beat up pretty bad. Two of the bikers were taken to the ER.

The elderly lady that owns the property that I have hunted for 20+ years was from there. She is in her 80's and still totes a .38 with her. She is a great lady and like a second mother to me. I have known her since I was 4 years old and she used to tan my hide when I needed it and kiss my cuts and bruises when I got hurt. Salt of the earth people.

Hoss, when I got out of college and went to start a job in Hazard. I hardly had enough money to get there. The boss gave me three of his shirts. He frequently had me out to his house to eat. I enjoyed his stories and that is the only payback he was looking for.

Thanks, Greybeard. Just wonder, you ever been to Bertram, Texas.
Several times--back when I lived in San Angelo and traveled back and forth from there to my present location. I have been thru it, but--never stopped that I remember.

Latest posts