Hays Converter

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmhand

Reaction score
Ok Dun - you made me ask. :D
I have a Stockman's Handbook that has very little info about quite a few different breeds. From what it says - I thought Hays Converters might be a good deal. What is everyones' opinion on them?

Hays Converters were developed from mating Holstein bulls on Hereford cows, then Brown Swiss with the resulting F1's. It was started by Senator Harry Hays of Calgary, Alberta. The whole story is on the Oklahoma University website - http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

My neighbours still have 2 left, and quite a few daughters of their original H.C. cows. They were big-framed, big-boned, heavy-milkin mommas, just like was intended. The website says Senator Hays developed them for the purpose of performance, and I'd say he got what he wanted.

The father of one of my key buyers, raises Hays Converters. They match exactly what was said early. Not greatly heavily boned than anything else, but super big frame..Holstein frame, and tons of milk. They do sometimes have problems with mastitis, although not often because the udders are apparently pretty good in them. Big hay machines, but they have no problem kicking out a 700 lb weaned calf on poor grass.

Latest posts