Hays Converter

Help Support CattleToday:

farmforever

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with this breed of cattle? Or raise them or used raise them just curious.

Look good, and sound good too.
are larger, well-fleshed and long-bodied. Strong legs and good feet add hardiness and longevity. Particularly noticeable are the excellent udders of the cows. Mature females weigh between 1250-1450 pounds and mature bulls average between 2200 and 2400 pounds in breeding condition, produce abundant milk, calve easily and wean a 550 to 650 pound calf, which mature early, breed early and produce outstanding calves yearly regardless of the breed of the sire they are mated to an excellent cross.

Just once tho, before I die, I'd like to see an"official" breed description that includes a downside along with all the good stuff. Just once..

the reason I was wondering is we have a few cows we bought about 5 years ago at an auction the one cow we have looks almost identicle to the pictues of this breed. It is one of our better cows but I was wondering what the availability of the breed was in the U.S. as I havent seen anything about them here neither. I realize there are plenty of crosses that can produce similar looking cows but this one seems really close compared to others I have seen.

pdfangus":13wkn4ai said:
there was a stud decades ago that had some but I just don't think they ever caught on....had not heard the term in years.
any reason why they don't caught on? Maybe something has do with their dairy influence?

the breed was developed by senator harry hays, former minister of ag, calgary,alberta,canada. it was made up of two dairy breeds & one beef breed. holstein,brown swiss, & hereford . color should be black & white or red & white

Latest posts