Haying weather??

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Here it is the 13th of June, and only baled 45 bales of hay for a neighbor, and not a single one for myself. Alfalfa should have been mowed 2 weeks ago, and the cool season grasses are ready now. We have had rain just about every other day for the past 2 weeks. Hopefully the weather straightens out, and brother and I can get the hay rollin'.

Anyone else having the same problems?

Well, now that you ask. I live in central Iowa and I travel the state a considerable amount and the only forage I have seen harvested is rye and alfalfa mix that is cut one day and chopped for silo the next. I have not seen any hay mown and baled. We are two to three weeks behind normal also and the forecast for the next few days is starting to look promising but the ground is so saturated no-one can get into the hayfields for a while yet. I hope things change soon. JLP

Here it is the 13th of June, and only baled 45 bales of hay for a neighbor, and not a single one for myself. Alfalfa should have been mowed 2 weeks ago, and the cool season grasses are ready now. We have had rain just about every other day for the past 2 weeks. Hopefully the weather straightens out, and brother and I can get the hay rollin'.

I am farther south than you have not got any hay up either. The week that was good to hay I had other obligation have been setting on read for weeks. Will cut the next two days the chances of rain is only 20 and 30 % next week.
The good thing is I really don't need but about 120 rolls this year. Therefore I haven't gotten very motivated.

Got the last load of rolls out of the field this evening about 10 o'clock.

Please send the rain this way.

we got 1.7 in of rain this morning.an havent even cut any hay this year.so the hay keeps growing.itll be laying down when the custom guy gets to it.will hopefully make 150 to 180 bales off 60acs.but only need 100 to 120 bales.

bandit80":5kwxek3w said:

Yes. Laid down 3 fields of hay, they got rained on. We let them dry out, raked them and baled. Got the last of the small bales into the barn last night, and the bigger bales were already stacked. I wouldn't count on the weather straightening out - Mother Nature just can't seem to resist sending rain when hay is ready to cut. ;-) :lol: :lol:

Haven't cut any grass hay yet. Should be half way toward second cutting but the rain keeps missing us. Finally got a light shower yesterday so maybe things will start growing. Its pretty discouraging right now.

msscamp":2k42yl0p said:
bandit80":2k42yl0p said:

Yes. Laid down 3 fields of hay, they got rained on. We let them dry out, raked them and baled. Got the last of the small bales into the barn last night, and the bigger bales were already stacked. I wouldn't count on the weather straightening out - Mother Nature just can't seem to resist sending rain when hay is ready to cut. ;-) :lol: :lol:
msscamp i agree it will take us about 2 weeks and we will be done but we did get some much needed rain yesterday .

rattler

rattler":uwyu0nde said:
msscamp":uwyu0nde said:
bandit80":uwyu0nde said:

...but we did get some much needed rain yesterday .

I'm sorry it was at the expense of your hay, but I'm glad you got the rain!

rattler

Well the rivers here are flooding all the bottom ground. We have had two 500 year floods in 15 years.

I tried to get my hay up 2 weeks ago and got it dried to 22% in 2 days. I just did not get that last day of full sun and then it rained and rained and rained so most of what I got up I had to feed right away. About 10 acres just went into the ditch yesterday after having 6 inches of rain and lying out for 2 weeks. I think I am better than most though and with the past 5 days of sun and wind the hay is coming down all over but I am 2 weeks ahead of those guys just getting their overripe 1st cutting stuff down. So who's better off I don't know. What I do know is I am thankful I live on the high ground.

It has not snowed here for a couple weeks and it got up into the 70s, so we cut last Saturday and baled today. The cool season grasses were starting to head out but there were not even buds on the alfalfa. Just not enough heat. Where is global warming when you need it???

The native blue grass and quack grass are growing like mad and starting to go down in a few spots. This year I am trying to graze a spring stock pile :!: Cattle really seem to like mature blue grass.

Latest posts