Hayfield

Help Support CattleToday:

lawdawg21

Reaction score
I have access to 10 +/- acres currently grown up in weeds and Johnson grass. I want to plant hay maybe Bermuda what would be the best way to kill current and plant new grass. Thanks in advance.

Burn it then spray with glyphosate(round up) after a week or 2 if there was much regrowth before spraying, burn it again. Then notill in the grass of your choice

lawdawg21":3va7vxys said:
I have access to 10 +/- acres currently grown up in weeds and Johnson grass. I want to plant hay maybe Bermuda what would be the best way to kill current and plant new grass. Thanks in advance.

If you want hay I would keep the Johnson grass and just kill the weeds.

I would spray it with 2-4D to kill the weeds then till it up and plant what ever grass you want to. The Johnson grass will come back next year with the grass you planted.

lawdawg21":pzzn8nen said:

A hayfield is like a woman it has to have lot's of love and attention or it will up and leave you.
You say you have access ? Lease? Neighbor? How long is the access?
A real hayfield doesn't happen ovenight.

It is family land in st francisville, Louisiana. Sandy clay dirt. I would like jiggs Bermuda hay but still thinking on prices

If it's NHEL-- I'd put a burn down on it== the mold board plow it...

If it's not a HEL ground- the first year of changing ownership, and the fact it's coming from a 'hay' field-- will allow you to do the same thing...

Latest posts