Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":nasd8zok said:
Finally got around to baling 18 acres of Tifton 85. Pretty rank . It has dried to long because of baler problems. They stems will be like wire so the cows will cull most of it. I am getting pretty disgusted with this cow business.

You have to have some ole cows to keep the farm clean. Everybody else makes better money in the cattle process than the farmer that does most of the work, pretty disgusting I agree. I have put up around 60 acres second/last cutting this year. The dry spell we had sure did put a hurting on it, probably 30-40% of spring cutting and usually at least 50%+. It does make the fields pretty.

Going to cut today , chance of scattered showers sunday, should be able to bale one thin field by then . The other likely won't be ready till Monday, big baler is down waiting on parts, if they aren't here by tomorrow I'm going to have a bunch of small ones . I need just a little break .

sstterry":1o3836nm said:
snoopdog":1o3836nm said:
Want it to rain? Cut hay! , Just a trace, so far
That is good looking grass Snoopdog!
We cut it once early , with a reduced yield , then pastured our weaners on it till july. Hit it hard with nitrate and got some timely rain , it is thick .

3rd is way past due here. Looks like I have a chance to get it.

0.. 40.. 0.. 40.. % is what the weather says for rain...

but 90 degrees.... we'll see!

Got it up without a hitch with my new to me baler , dark clouds looming about half the day but not a drop . Went to the second field about 3 miles away with the rake, and about halfway there were puddles in the road , but not a drop at the field , finished about 9pm, sure appreciated the led lights ! Had to ted the first field twice because of the humidity level, and if we hadn't had a good breeze it still wouldn't be dry.

40% rain didn't hit.. thunder and dark clouds but no rain.

POS baler endedup clogging a bunch.. so it was the worst baling time of my life. fingers have blisters on the tips from pulling so much hay.

got it all baled.. put it in the barn this morning.. rain poured and poured and poured at 2... so the fields are happy.. and i'm drinking beer now..and all the equpment and hay is away so i'm happy.

It has been a year of extremes for sure. Either too much moisture or not enough. Went and picked up some alfalfa round bales from my hay man here in KS. He has 1/2 of a large circle laid down. Been raining on it. He has already turned it once. Starting to turn a bunch on top. And another 1/2 that needs to be laid down. He usually sells most of this cutting for horse hay. Still green underneath. They are talking possibility of rain until at least Sat and then again next week maybe.

Latest posts