Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
I have 12 acres of ground and I need about 200 5x5 rolls of hay. I own the ground trying to get ideas what to plant so I can have some good hay. Need some ideas. Thank you!

My arithmetic says that a 5x5 at max moisture and tight roll will come in at 1108#/bale. Simplifying at 1000# that's 200k#/12 acres= 17k#/acre. I'd figure on 8-10k/acre if you do everything right and get 3 good cuttings of something real thick, or something tall like Gotcha Plus SS at maturity. Might want to look around for something to fill the void.

It is going to be difficult getting 200 5x5 rolls on 12 acres even under optimal conditions. I would try to buy some hay if it is cheap or work a deal with someone to do some hay sharing on their land. I am in Tennessee and it very rare we can get 3 cuttings.

Most years we can get three cuttings of bermuda but that's with all conditions being right. Not sure that you would get the numbers you desire though. You may have to overseed in the fall with rye to get an early spring cutting but not sure what that would do to the bermuda later on.

Fertility and PH on point? Going to have to push whatever you go with pretty hard.

I would be considering some type of warm season annual.

Is there anything growing on the 12 acres now?

Texasmark":fdhru2bt said:
My arithmetic says that a 5x5 at max moisture and tight roll will come in at 1108#/bale. Simplifying at 1000# that's 200k#/12 acres= 17k#/acre. I'd figure on 8-10k/acre if you do everything right and get 3 good cuttings of something real thick, or something tall like Gotcha Plus SS at maturity. Might want to look around for something to fill the void.
you guys can get 10k/lbs per acre there? That's extremely impressive. is that under irrigation? That would be hard to do here.

ddd75":vsrla7wx said:
Texasmark":vsrla7wx said:
you guys can get 10k/lbs per acre there? That's extremely impressive. is that under irrigation? That would be hard to do here.

No sir......no way... :) . I stuck that "very optimistic" number to stifle the boo birds that might come back and bad mouth me for my low yields.

Actually I don't know how I'd manage that much yield. I had a big enough problem in 2014 with my Gotcha Plus that got over 8' because I couldn't get in the field due to a wet spring.

Texasmark":2xzt7u5t said:
ddd75":2xzt7u5t said:
Texasmark":2xzt7u5t said:

No sir......no way... :) . I stuck that "very optimistic" number to stifle the boo birds that might come back and bad mouth me for my low yields.

Actually I don't know how I'd manage that much yield. I had a big enough problem in 2014 with my Gotcha Plus that got over 8' because I couldn't get in the field due to a wet spring.

i just read 120 bu corn ground should be able to yield 8k/lbs / ac. hay.

ddd75":319lnx8z said:
Texasmark":319lnx8z said:
ddd75":319lnx8z said:

i just read 120 bu corn ground should be able to yield 8k/lbs / ac. hay.

Much more than what I have heard (word of mouth) around here. Last time heard bragging rights it was boasting of 40!.....compare that to some guy up in Iowa that entered a contest and got something like 487 I think was the number of bu/a. Cannot imagine that kind of yield at 2 ears to the stalk....like we get here.

Latest posts