Hay with High Toxins

Help Support CattleToday:

kilroy60

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me how hay obtains high toxin levels (or direct me to a link)? I'm new to the hay business (just obtained a 30 acre hay field to lease) and wanting to make sure that I don't over do the fertilizers to create bad hay. I've only been raising cattle for three - four years and now have an opportunity to start making hay but want to make sure I do all things correct.

M-5":y1dxczkl said:
Pull a soil sample , take the results to your co op where you buy fertilizer. Your pocket book will keep you from over doing it.

OK - now that I've done this, it still doesn't answer my question. Are you saying that over fertilizing causes the high toxins in hay? My concern is that last year, a lot of farmers had hay with high toxins, at least around this area. My understanding is that it had a lot to do with the drought and the application of fertilizer without getting enough rain. I'm just trying to understand the ins and outs of this new chore that I'm taking on and wanting to do the right thing.

Thanks - BC & callmefence. So, by fertilizing too late in the season and not getting adequate rain, then the risk of high nitrate levels could be an issue.

Latest posts