Hay Tarps

Help Support CattleToday:

lukem86

Reaction score
Anybody that tarps hay, what brands do you use? Are the tarps at TSC any good or are they junk?

Was looking at http://www.inlandtarp.com havent priced these yet but looking....

How wide do you need to go if you stack round bales in a 3,2,1 pyramid? Would you stack them this way or differently?

Thanks

When we trarp we use the ones from Hayguard. They breathe and the hay stays sweet and not musty like the closed weave tarps.
the pyramid is built with the bottom two bales touching. If there is much space the critters get in and really have a field day

dun

Before you place it, get some old trash pallets and lay them out. Set the hay on top of the pallets to keep the hay off of the ground. That helps save the hay bottom from ground moisture/run-off.

I use the big one by Hayguard. The stack is mine with two on the bottom and one on top with the bottom ones sitting on old pallets to stop absorption from the ground. The hay keeps as well or better than in a barn. The tarp I use would cover a three high stack but my loader won't lift them that high. I keep it tied down by tying each of the D rings to the pallets under the hay. I like it and for about $350, it will pay for it self in a few years. Mine is almost like new and this is the sixth year I have used it.
The make them in north Alabama and the have a web site. I will try and find a link.

I sure can't find the web site. Does anyone know the name of that place in north Alabama that make Hayguard. I think I want to buy another one.

We stack 3/2/1 - usually 6 foot bales - and any of the 5 footers go into a different pile stacked the same way.

Put them on the ground.

Before we put them down I lay a rope with a loop at each end on the ground under each bale.

All bottom bales touch across the line and we tend to leave about 6 inches between every group of 6 bottom bales - the added ventilation seems to help.

Essentially we stack 2 rows of three/ 2 rows of two and 2 rows of 1 - with a very small space between that specific group of bales and any other bales in the long row.

When we lived in the prairies this additional care was not required - we simply laid them out in long single rows and did not even bother to cover them. Where we are located now, there is simply too much moisture to do that.

Once the pile is formed we tarp down to about the top 1/3'rd of the bottom bale. Throw a rope over the top and cinch it down onto the bottom rope.

We simply look for the cheapest tarps on the market - whatever is available we use. Cheap is almost always best.
This system prevents flapping and the resulting deterioration due to weather.

The only thing we are usually concerned about is UV resistance.

System works well for us and we use those tarps over and over and overn again.

Lat year we had almost 900 feet of hay piles under tarp with little to no damage to the hay. We never use pallets. Too many pallets to pick up when they are frozen to the ground. I hate thinking about having to drive over them - pallet and tire damage is potentially a serious cost.

Regards,

Bez!

thanks for the help....

do darker colored tarps tend to heat the hay up? or dont you worry about that at all?

luke

lukem86":3iokksfe said:
thanks for the help....

do darker colored tarps tend to heat the hay up? or dont you worry about that at all?

luke

Only ever bought the grey tarps so I cannot answer that one.

Bez!

Bez!":1d97qos8 said:

Regards,

Bez!

Don't you have problems with the mice eating holes in the tarps?

If you have an interest, I think I can find the name of the company that made the ones I use. They have a sleeve on both sides that you can put pipe or rebar in. I lay a piece of 14 gauge electric fencing wire down and stack the bales on top. They are in a pyrmid shape the wire is then tied to the rebar running through the sleeve with a fence tightner in between. Works pretty well. I had 400 bales covered last year and I had only one tarp to fail during Hurricane Rita, We had gusts over 100mph. That speaks well for em. The ones I have are silver on top and white on the bottom

msscamp":376uiypg said:
Bez!":376uiypg said:

Regards,

Bez!

Nope.

Bez!

Bez!":28egg1f4 said:
msscamp":28egg1f4 said:
Bez!":28egg1f4 said:

Regards,

Bez!

Nope.

Bez!

:p :p :p Canada's looking better and better! :lol: :lol: :lol: Here a brand new tarp will have multiple mouse holes gnawed in it before spring hits - complete with the darned mouse! :roll:

msscamp":32a3ulw6 said:
Bez!":32a3ulw6 said:
msscamp":32a3ulw6 said:
Bez!":32a3ulw6 said:

Regards,

Bez!

Nope.

Bez!

:p :p :p Canada's looking better and better! :lol: :lol: :lol: Here a brand new tarp will have multiple mouse holes gnawed in it before spring hits - complete with the darned mouse! :roll:

Your mice must like mountain climbing - biggest prob I have is the tarps try to rip when I take them off in the winter - lots of ice here.

Even a few holes does not make a big difference.

Stay well - rough counted tonight - 10 or so stragglers to go and we are finished calving.

Wish they would hurry up.

BEz!

Bez!":2arinc6v said:
msscamp":2arinc6v said:
msscamp":2arinc6v said:

Regards,

Bez!

Nope.

Bez!

Your mice must like mountain climbing - biggest prob I have is the tarps try to rip when I take them off in the winter - lots of ice here.

Even a few holes does not make a big difference.

Stay well - rough counted tonight - 10 or so stragglers to go and we are finished calving.

Wish they would hurry up.

BEz!

Considering these are small square bales, yes, they do like mountain climbing! :lol: :lol: With a stack of small square bales, a few holes can (and do) present a pretty major problem as the water tends to soak down and ruin a lot of bales. Good deal! You, too. I love calving season, but it does tend to get a little tiresome when the girls drag it out. :lol: :lol: :lol: [/b]

houstoncutter":2zu4i7dn said:
If you have an interest, I think I can find the name of the company that made the ones I use. They have a sleeve on both sides that you can put pipe or rebar in. I lay a piece of 14 gauge electric fencing wire down and stack the bales on top. They are in a pyrmid shape the wire is then tied to the rebar running through the sleeve with a fence tightner in between. Works pretty well. I had 400 bales covered last year and I had only one tarp to fail during Hurricane Rita, We had gusts over 100mph. That speaks well for em. The ones I have are silver on top and white on the bottom

I have a couple made by http://www.supertarp.com/ that sound just like the ones you are describing. I cut and threaded 3/4 pipe to go down each side of the tarp in the sleeve on each side so the stress is evenly distributed. I use 12 1/2 guage brace wire laid under the bales every 10 foot or so, tied to the pipe on one side and thru a fence tensioner on the other side. Even if you keep them tight, I can't get much more than 4 or 5 years out of a tarp, the company claims 7. I put up one stack today, 72 5x4 rolls, but I don't know what the size of the tarp is, sorry. The lot I stack in here is on the crest of a hill and has just enough slope to it that I have to put an old telephone pole to help hold the starting end. I apologize for the size, can't seem to get it to downsize tonight.
9d019b67.jpg

lukem86":1h0de6ao said:
Anybody that tarps hay, what brands do you use? Are the tarps at TSC any good or are they junk?

Was looking at http://www.inlandtarp.com havent priced these yet but looking....

How wide do you need to go if you stack round bales in a 3,2,1 pyramid? Would you stack them this way or differently?

Thanks
In a 3,2,1 stack, with large bales, tarp needs to be 30 ft. wide. 2,1 stack,18 ft. Couple yrs. ago Missouri Hay Tarps were $319.00 for a 30 by 75. Stakes to tie down were $0.67. You'd push stake in then turn 1/4 turn locking it. Tarps are 6.7 wt. Ultra-violet treated. Waterproof, leakproof, washable, shrinkproof. Grommets every 12 inches. Address: Mo. Hay Tarps. 1673 Lakeshore Dr. Owensville, Mo. 65066 Phone: 573-437-3068. Was going to say, cheapest I'd found, but I'll change that to least expensive. Hope this helps.

I get misprinted billboards. I use 1/2 pvc in the sleeves and tye various pieces of left over pipe, leaf springs, etc for ballast weight. Generally I can find these for $50, but we have several big billboard companies locally.

msscamp have you tried moth balls in your stacks to keep out mice? 3-4 in an old olive jar with holes poked the lid would be easy to stick in the cracks in the bottom layers and easy to relocate when you take the hay back out.

dj":2zvjth3h said:
I get misprinted billboards.

My bro-in-law found some of those on eBay. They were used. CHEAP!!! At first I scoffed. Then I saw them. They are more durable and tougher than my canvas tarps. No flapping in any kind of wind. Also, they do not have to be treated. We shall see how many years they last (TBD) The reverse side is white so it does not absorb solar heat. The pockets are great and grommets are quick and easy to add with grommet kits, on the end.

Bez, We don't get that many freezes. Pallets are absolutely the best way to go for us. It stops all ground rot. Hay stays pristine.

backhoeboogie":2fjzif0x said:
dj":2fjzif0x said:
I get misprinted billboards.

My bro-in-law found some of those on eBay. They were used. CHEAP!!! At first I scoffed. Then I saw them. They are more durable and tougher than my canvas tarps. No flapping in any kind of wind. Also, they do not have to be treated. We shall see how many years they last (TBD) The reverse side is white so it does not absorb solar heat. The pockets are great and grommets are quick and easy to add with grommet kits, on the end.

Bez, We don't get that many freezes. Pallets are absolutely the best way to go for us. It stops all ground rot. Hay stays pristine.

Yeah I know.

Cold for you is about 10 - 20 F.

I do not even biother with heavy coats and boots until minus 10 - 20 F - long as I am moving I am good.

At minus 45F I try to feed the girls all they want. And believe me the food consumption really rises.

Does not get there every day - but it does happen - At minus 50 F and below we tend to try and stay indoors - other than feeding time. Tractors hate running at this temp.

It gets worse when the wind blows - fortunately the colder it gets - usually - the less wind there is.

:D

Bez!

Latest posts