Hay Tarp use in Southeast

Help Support CattleToday:

Johnny

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience using hay tarps in the southeast US?

We put up our ryegrass in the spring as balage and early summer hay goes in barn. That still leaves about 500 to 600 bales to go outside in weather. With current cost the way they are can't afford to be loosing hay.

I would like to stack in 3-2-1 pyramid and cover with tarp, but have been told it wouldn't work in Missisippi.

Would like to hear if anybody has tried and how it worked?

Johnny

With the loss storing that much hay outside, It won't take long to for a barn to pay for itself just by reducing loss. I have seen people try the pyramid/tarp thing. Must not be all it is cracked up to be because they don't see them doing it anymore.

I had a trailer load of square bales for a guy that couldn't get it right away. It was supposed to rain so I tarped it because all my sheds were full. It sat out in the sun for about 10 days. When he came to get it and we pulled the tarp off, we found a trailor load of wet mildewed hay. The tarp kept the rain off alright, but the tarp, heat , moisture combination in the hay set up its own rainforest. I assume this would also happen in the pyramid as the tarp does not allow for air to flow around the bales. Just my observation and one opinion.

This is a method I used before I had enough barn space.

View attachment 1

500 bales is a lot to store this way, but at one time I had enough space set up to store over 200. Had excellent results. The plastic does not cover the entire bale trapping moisture in a tent like manner. Just sheds water over the top. Also plastic is not one long piece.

We have been using them for several years. They work fairly good if you run your stacks north and south and leave the ends were you can get some air circulation. There will be an occasional roll on top that will get a wet spot on it where the tarp touches, but still alot better than sitting out in the open.

Used it last year on 54 5x5 rolls of wheat hay,i think the tarp already payed for itself.

I used them one year but never intend to do it again. I suspect due to the sweating mentioned above, the hay smelled musty and I practically had to beg the cows to eat it. Also, once you break into the stack, it is virtually impossible to keep the tarp on the remainder of the stack. I tried every conceivable configuration for tying the thing on, including putting rope under the hay before stacking. I think if I added up all the time I spent fighting with the tarp and the wind, I could have built a barn in the same amount of time.

Johnny if you are going to be putting up that much hay go ahead and bite the bullet and build the barn it will pay for itself. The tarp is only going to kick mold production into high gear with the heat and humidity we have hear in the southeast. You would be better off leaving it out with a good tight bale, with good tie/wrap on it than sticking it under plastic.

Latest posts