Hay Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Iowa77

Reaction score
Trying to figure out the best price to sell my hay for. I have large Grass bales first cut. Not sure on the weight and im from Iowa. Any ideas on what to charge?

Iowa77":2ndr0tpa said:
Trying to figure out the best price to sell my hay for. I have large Grass bales first cut. Not sure on the weight and im from Iowa. Any ideas on what to charge?
im assuming they are big squre bales.an they weigh 800 to 1000lbs so id say $25 to $35 a bale.wich would be $70 to $80 a ton.

Personally, I think I would have a hard time paying 70 a ton for straight grass..however, if the guy you are selling it to is going to use it for cattle, give em a deal say 50...but if he is using it for horses, tell em it is high quality horse hay for 75 and see what happens

Iowa77":2dcb894x said:

What kind of grass? Did you fertilize? Is it in round or large sq. bales? Did you have the protein content checked?

Well They are large Round bales with clover, orchard grass, and fescue. I heard wide ranges of prices per bale around here since its hard to find and not many farmers here want to part with it till the grass starts to grow.

Your hay is worth as much as anyone is willing to pay. I received some pretty big offers for my hay this year. I had already sold all I care to sell. Hay can be found. Good hay is hard to find.

backhoeboogie":1zu5n9y1 said:
Your hay is worth as much as anyone is willing to pay. I received some pretty big offers for my hay this year. I had already sold all I care to sell. Hay can be found. Good hay is hard to find.

I've been paying $10.50 for coastal and $11.50 for alfalfa at one of the feed stores here...and it's all junk. :mad:

Thank goodness we still have a lot of grazing left and the rain we've had will make it that much better. If it weren't for these old horses of mine...

Alice

Alice, make sure these guys know you are paying $10 for small squares! From what I hear, some of those guys east of us are paying $15 for large round bales!!! I remember when my supplier went from $20 to $25 a roll, I almost had a heart attack. Nowadays I would love to see $30 a roll hay around here.

eric":22in31oh said:
Alice, make sure these guys know you are paying $10 for small squares! From what I hear, some of those guys east of us are paying $15 for large round bales!!! I remember when my supplier went from $20 to $25 a roll, I almost had a heart attack. Nowadays I would love to see $30 a roll hay around here.

Yikes! My bad! Yes, what I'm talking about are small squares.

Alice

Talk around here is that first cuttings that went for $25.00 to $30.00 for fescue and prairie last year, will start around $50.00. Currently if you need any is is around $70.00 a bale.

High Gas prices, Fertilizer and Corn. Bet these are the times when the old-timers have said we better have a sharp pencil.

I dont think youll have any luck selling that hay, in fact I wouldnt advertise that you have it even, just to help ya out Id be glad to arrange for a truck to pick it up and haul it off for ya... no charge, :p

I'm in ne texas and just paid $77.00 for a ugly bale of orchard grass....

Fescue and grass hay round bales 1000-1100 lbs is being tractor trailer trucked out of here for $50.00 each. Hubby's boss has an order for alfalfa $120.00 ton but he can't get enough bales (38 or 39) for a trailer load (which was to my good so I bought his 5 alfalfa round bales for $45.00 each).

We've had to pay $40 a bale for twine tied shedded bales. Grass w/ some alfalfa. We were glad to get them, though.

One bale was completely charred inside. He made it good, but until then was totally unaware how close he came to losing his barn.

Whenever, if ever, you can sell that kind of hay for $40/bale or more you should! But in my opinion, hold on to it! With the current grain market, we are going to see more sod busted this year for corn production! Then on top of that with the mild drought we had last summer hay production was down. Last winter I bought all the hay I wanted for $50/ton ($25/$30bale grass/alfalfa) Now you cant touch it for that! My neighbor is selling truck loads of alfalfa round bales for 185.00/ton. His 1,800 bale inventory is about gone (Good Hay 28% protein)! Some of my hay ground is getting old, but I'm going to keep it in production and I'm going to seed more down. My beleif is that I can make more money selling hay than I can raising corn! Though alot think I'm dumb for thinking that! If your hay is keeping good I truely think that next winter you will be able to set your price and cash in!? But that's why I love farming... You never KNOW what's going to happen! I know 4 guys looking for hay to finish this year out, that also burndowned 25% of their hay ground for corn production for 2007!!!??? And they think I'm dumb! I'd be happy to set you up with them if you are wanting to sell it now! Otherwise I'll sell them hay late this summer... for an over inflated price!!! But that's JUST my opinion! Good Luck?

Latest posts