hay prices this year? MN/ND/SD

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
Any thoughts on what hay prices will do this year, just looking at craigslist and the local classifieds it seems like they're a bit high considering corn prices. If they were to remain I would think most folks, including myself would be more inclined to chop silage or feed high moisture corn. Might be a bit more labor intensive through the winter feeding but I think the cattle would get more bang for your buck.

I think they will drop like a rock, especially on anything from last year. So much hay, and so few wanting to hold on to cattle. I've got 120 from last year for $40 and hopefully 100 extra from this year for $50. But it can be found for cheaper around here if need be. I'm not in the business of selling hay on a regular basis. But never turn down a quick dollar.

What should the price of corn have with the hay price. cheap corn dont make it cheaper to mow rake and bale or add fert. And heck corn being planted on every hill has made rent on hay ground around this part of missouri jump from 80 to 120 an acher figur that in and tell me how it can keep getting cheaper

herefordlover":zb7386f7 said:
What should the price of corn have with the hay price. cheap corn dont make it cheaper to mow rake and bale or add fert. And heck corn being planted on every hill has made rent on hay ground around this part of missouri jump from 80 to 120 an acher figur that in and tell me how it can keep getting cheaper

If you can feed cheap corn silage instead of high priced hay, which will you feed? :cowboy: No one is forced to rent high priced ground for hay or corn.

mwj":3szmph84 said:
herefordlover":3szmph84 said:

If you can feed cheap corn silage instead of high priced hay, which will you feed? :cowboy: No one is forced to rent high priced ground for hay or corn.

Bingo.

My thoughts were the same, most folks here I imagine realize the input costs of any crop whether it be hay, corn, beans ect has gone up, but at the end of the day, each feed source/commodity has to remain competitive with the next if feeders/cattlemen/dairy's are going to purchase and feed them.

Published price range per state of MN on grass hay was $80 to $115 per ton last year. No idea where they got that from.
Plenty of prevent plant corn here so no silage surplus. Byproducts can be had at the lower end of that grass hay price range BUT trucking and feeding costs have to be reasonable. Location location location...
Lots of crap got baled up as first crop. Low end grass hay here goes to the pellet plants where they blend it off with alfalfa.
Hay sellers are holding on for last years price. I expect $90/T and up.

We dont rent any land but that is the price we could get. As far as feeding cheep silage i dont see it being cheep here if u can even find any with corn looking to be in the 250 bushel range

mncowboy":3pfe0qoi said:
Any thoughts on what hay prices will do this year, just looking at craigslist and the local classifieds
it seems like they're a bit high...

Craigslist hay prices in Minnesota always seem higher than what actual sale prices are in the same area.
I suspect most of it isn't sold for the asking price.
High quality; dairy quality hay in Minnesota will remain high, because most of the 1st crop in the state was rained on
or delayed and late cut, so there just wasn't much good hay made.
Lots of crap hay, hard stem, low quality hay should be available at local auctions for less than advertised on craigslist.
I expect a larger than usual market spread from low to high. With beef cow quality hay prices to be the same or lower
than last year.

mncowboy":1ji96i74 said:
herefordlover":1ji96i74 said:
What should the price of corn have to do with the hay price.

at the end of the day, each feed source/commodity has to remain competitive with the next if feeders/cattlemen/dairy's are going to purchase and feed them.
:clap: Exactly right.

I don't give a rats tail what it costs you to produce...I only care about what it costs me to feed.

Can't help with prices but have been on vacation last week and a half in MN and the hay they are cutting looks like nothing standing but sure is putting out some rolls for no more grass than it looks like. Some nice alfalfa here too. How many rolls/ tons per head do you figure for a winter here?Any of you MN boys close to Mahnomen-Detroit Lakes?

Hay this side is going cheap, cheap. $60 ton and under for good alfalfa, grass mix. No buyers. Everybody is overloaded with hay. I've got 25 acres of trefoil/clover mix that would go over 2 tons per acre and I think it might just have to go for pasture. I have some dandy double cut red clover that I could do a second cut on and wrap, but I think I am sick of haying. I haven't even hauled any home yet.

cazzhrdwd":3phi4eez said:
Plus, if you can't sell the hay, price will come down.

I disagree. I have 150 bales of optimal coastal hay for sale. The best I have ever had. I have 175 bales of cow hay that is better than most horse quality hay around.

It can sit there as far as I am concerned. I can feed it to the cows 2 years from now and it will be better than what I could find elsewhere.

No way in hades would I sell it for break even prices. I am not going to drive 23 miles to show it to horse people who want to buy a bale Just not worth it. They all want little square bales anyway. Let the pay feed store prices for hay that is not nearly as good as this.

If someone wants to negotiate the price, I'll leave and lock the gates. The hay can sit. I don't have to sell it.

Son of Butch":11imkdtv said:
mncowboy":11imkdtv said:
herefordlover":11imkdtv said:
What should the price of corn have to do with the hay price.

at the end of the day, each feed source/commodity has to remain competitive with the next if feeders/cattlemen/dairy's are going to purchase and feed them.
:clap: Exactly right.

I don't give a rats tail what it costs you to produce...I only care about what it costs me to feed.
Looking at feed ingredients, looks like it could drop $50 a ton in most places. May be a good year for supplemental feeding.

TexasBred":w27853ro said:
Looking at feed ingredients, looks like it could drop $50 a ton in most places. May be a good year for supplemental feeding.

I was looking forward to some more heavy cow cull'in this fall, but with the price of feed that may not be the best choice.
I called on leasing creep feeders a couple months ago, and the local source was out for the first time in memory.

Stocker Steve":7fsup85c said:
TexasBred":7fsup85c said:

I was looking forward to some more heavy cow cull'in this fall, but with the price of feed that may not be the best choice.
I called on leasing creep feeders a couple months ago, and the local source was out for the first time in memory.
Just curious Steve, what a creep feeder lease run when they're available?
Thanks

Latest posts