Hay price

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
I can buy fertilized argentine bahai 4x5 in the field for 30 dollars a bale. The bales actually measure 31/2x41/2 and they weigh 575 lbs each. We paid the same price to the same producer last year but the bales weighed 800 lb. Since hay is so scarce this year, I will probably buy it. What are your thoughts.

Mosho":tathtg8p said:
I can buy fertilized argentine bahai 4x5 in the field for 30 dollars a bale. The bales actually measure 31/2x41/2 and they weigh 575 lbs each. We paid the same price to the same producer last year but the bales weighed 800 lb. Since hay is so scarce this year, I will probably buy it. What are your thoughts.
if you need the hay an you dont mind paying $30 a bale id buy it.but remember this they will eat a 600lb roll faster than 800lb roll.we sold 5 by 6 bales for $30 an $32 a bale.but if your in a drought area $30 a bale is cheap.

Thank you for your responses. We are in a drought situation and I do need the hay. We have culled some and will cull again before winter. We have 22 pregnant cows that should calve in January and February. Right now we have 50 of the 575 lb. bales in the barn and that will not go far. We hope to make a deal with someone to cut our bahai pastures on halves. The hay is not high quality but it will provide something during the winter. Of course, we plan to overseed ryegrass to help stretch the hay. The hay we bought is about 8% crude protein. The hay we cut will be less than that.

Mosho":1olgo5s0 said:
Thank you for your responses. We are in a drought situation and I do need the hay. We have culled some and will cull again before winter. We have 22 pregnant cows that should calve in January and February. Right now we have 50 of the 575 lb. bales in the barn and that will not go far. We hope to make a deal with someone to cut our bahai pastures on halves. The hay is not high quality but it will provide something during the winter. Of course, we plan to overseed ryegrass to help stretch the hay. The hay we bought is about 8% crude protein. The hay we cut will be less than that.

Problem is ryegrass has to have rain to do anything too... Not much is worse than spending $$$ to seed a field and then watch it never come up or just produce fuzz for lack of rain... and STILL need the hay as well...

Good luck and God bless! Wish we could send you some of this rain off TS Erin! Luckily we didn't get TOO much... we were just starting to finally dry out. Be interesting to see what Dean does to us... OL JR :)

Mosho: If you are in a drought best buy it. We have just gotten out of a drought last winter 5x6 fescue hay sold of $60 a bail. Fescue hay is very poor hay usually.

Latest posts