Hay per cow

Help Support CattleToday:

jedstivers

Reaction score
How many bales[average size] per cow does everybody in all the areas of the country try to have for winter use? When I had cows in the past we just put up all we could,now I'm trying to have more growing in the winter and not use as much hay. I'm in East AR.

My hay is in large John Deere-size rolls. I always figure 3 rolls per cow. I try to have at least a little bit of ryegrass grazing to help out.

My figure is about 30 pounds per day per cow is what's required. That being said however, I keep much more than that. You never know for sure how long you'll be feeding hay.

I have an excel spreadsheet I got from NC State that helps you calculate your winter feeding needs.
Shoot me an im with your email and i will send you a copy.

we put up 1000lb bales avg and we have always used the rulle of thumb of 5 bales a hay per cow per winter that is more than we feed Last yr i fed less than three
they way I figure is 1 bale of hay per month per cow for 5 months starting nov and ending last of March

Well, we figure feeding hay from Oct to May give or take. We have 800# bales (give or take) and the estimate is 12 bales per cow per winter. Fats obviously take a lot less hay, as they are on grain.

Michele

grannysoo":14klpc7k said:
My figure is about 30 pounds per day per cow is what's required. That being said however, I keep much more than that. You never know for sure how long you'll be feeding hay.

This is exactly the number I use as well. Of course, knowing the nutritional value of the hay your feeding would help narrow that number down a bit!

we allow 1 to 1.5 bales pre cow a year.we are going into winter with 190 bales.we are allowing 130 bales for winter.

jed
I would concentrate on growing an annual winter grazing forage like Rye on arable land, which will cut down on the need for expensive hay stocks. That is the best way to go about wintering cows in the days of high fertilizer costs etc.
I have found that grazing cows/calves 2- 3 hours per day is enough to meet their Nutritional requirements then offer them a low quality hay for filler. This can be best accomplished by doing this>>>>
Since for the past several years fertilizer is so expensive, we have been letting our hay meadows get as rank as possible in order to make more yeild. We know that this causes a huge decrease in protein, but doesnt really effect TDN that much. Instead we are using an injection system to raise the Protein and energy of our rank hay. After a cost analysis we are saving 60 % for hay and the injection includes Protein, minerals(which are out of sight expensive) and energy and our cows prefer it to Class A hay. Sometimes you have to be willing to beat this system we find ourselves in these days and do what is best for yourself.
Another thing we have done to boost hay production is running an Aerator (by Aerway) over our hay meadows after each cutting which has boosted our Hay production another 25%. fewer acres more hay less $$ spent on cows----- and weaning weights on PB Angus calves at an all time high......

T

4CTophand":2qvcl3jm said:
jed
I would concentrate on growing an annual winter grazing forage like Rye on arable land, which will cut down on the need for expensive hay stocks. That is the best way to go about wintering cows in the days of high fertilizer costs etc.
I have found that grazing cows/calves 2- 3 hours per day is enough to meet their Nutritional requirements then offer them a low quality hay for filler. This can be best accomplished by doing this>>>>
Since for the past several years fertilizer is so expensive, we have been letting our hay meadows get as rank as possible in order to make more yeild. We know that this causes a huge decrease in protein, but doesnt really effect TDN that much. Instead we are using an injection system to raise the Protein and energy of our rank hay. After a cost analysis we are saving 60 % for hay and the injection includes Protein, minerals(which are out of sight expensive) and energy and our cows prefer it to Class A hay. Sometimes you have to be willing to beat this system we find ourselves in these days and do what is best for yourself.
Another thing we have done to boost hay production is running an Aerator (by Aerway) over our hay meadows after each cutting which has boosted our Hay production another 25%. fewer acres more hay less $$ spent on cows----- and weaning weights on PB Angus calves at an all time high......

T
How to hold TDN on hay that is long past prime cutting time and has developed a much higher percentage of stem to leaves?? What do you inject with for protein and energy??