Hay/pasture and mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

travlnusa

Reaction score
Here is another question from a beginner.

My hay/pasture tests out at "X" for RFV, DM, protein, etc in year one, thus my cows eat "Y" amount of mineral.

In year 2, lets assume that my hay/pasture feed drops/increase in quality.

Will the cows increase/decrease the amount of loose mineral intake to compensate?

Does mineral need to be adjusted to match each years feed?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

If your cows are already eating minerals, they'll come back to them as they need them. If they are intaking more mineral, there's your answer.

When I do soil tests, they usually tell me heavy nitrogen is all that is needed. I still apply all the trace minerals. They cost little to have them mixed with my fertilizer and the hay tests good each year. This year I went to 22-10-10 with trace minerals and spread it at about 325 lbs to an acre.

The old timer that sells mixed fertilizer has been doing it for years and years. I get my soil tested and then consult him. One year I didn't follow his advice and simply did what A & M said to do. I learned I should have listened to the old timer.

travlnusa":x0z6kibe said:
Here is another question from a beginner.

My hay/pasture tests out at "X" for RFV, DM, protein, etc in year one, thus my cows eat "Y" amount of mineral.

In year 2, lets assume that my hay/pasture feed drops/increase in quality.

Will the cows increase/decrease the amount of loose mineral intake to compensate?

Does mineral need to be adjusted to match each years feed?

As always, thanks in advance for your advice.

Minerals act on the cows the same way chocolet works on people. If you haven't had much in a period of time you may eat a lot then tapper off. If it is offered often you may eat it a little.
I crave sweets. If I go a week or so without them I crave them and will eat a lot if given the chance. But onice I have them I no longer crave them and I available will just eat a small amount on occasion. Just like cows do mineral.

Latest posts