Hay Haulin

Help Support CattleToday:

ben2008

Reaction score
just currious what size and what kind of truck would be best to pull a 36ft self unloading hay trailer, its a gooseneck with brakes and everything but I have a 3/4 ton chevy with a 4spd and a 350 to pull it wiht right now but im worried that the load might be a little much on that truck. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot, ben.

ben2008":2l3gv4df said:
just currious what size and what kind of truck would be best to pull a 36ft self unloading hay trailer, its a gooseneck with brakes and everything but I have a 3/4 ton chevy with a 4spd and a 350 to pull it wiht right now but im worried that the load might be a little much on that truck. Any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks a lot, ben.
with as big of trailer as your pulling id go to a 1 ton heavy duty.but tobe even safer id go with something like a ford f450 or an f550.because im thinking pulling that kind of a load all the time will eat a 1 ton truck up.less i miss my guess youll be pulling close to 15 ton loads.

bigbull338":3kyaf93p said:
ben2008":3kyaf93p said:
with as big of trailer as your pulling id go to a 1 ton heavy duty.but tobe even safer id go with something like a ford f450 or an f550.because im thinking pulling that kind of a load all the time will eat a 1 ton truck up.less i miss my guess youll be pulling close to 15 ton loads.

it wont be quite that heavy its 36ft long but the bales just slide in one behind the other so the most i will ever be able to haul is 9 4x5 round bales. This is the exact type of trailer that it is if that helps any. http://www.haytrailer.com/ . Thanks alot, ben.

ben2008":gpbpmt4k said:
bigbull338":gpbpmt4k said:
ben2008":gpbpmt4k said:

it wont be quite that heavy its 36ft long but the bales just slide in one behind the other so the most i will ever be able to haul is 9 4x5 round bales. This is the exact type of trailer that it is if that helps any. http://www.haytrailer.com/ . Thanks alot, ben.
if that is all youll be hauling then a 1 ton truck will pull it with ease.

Thats what i figured but i thought i would get some additional input from people that know what they're talkin about. thanks, ben.

Ben:

Just FYI, I pull a 32' flatbed gooseneck trailer with 14 5x6 bales with a HD2500 Chevy with no problems at all. I am running a diesel with an Allison transmission. I haul about 100 miles round-trip and have never had any problems. I know it depends on your truck, but I wouldn't think 9 bales is going to hurt it.

I can put 22 4 X 5 on my trailer. Pull it no prob with an 03 Dodge 3/4 ton High output with 6 speed manual tranny

I haul 13 of the 4x5 or 10 of the 4x6 bales on a real heavy home made trailer with my chevy 3x4 ton with no problems. You should be fine with that load and your 3/4 ton

Latest posts