Hay fed cows, Time , profit effort ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
I have 21 cows going cows , black angus, a few baldies, and a few herfords, 10 cows calves and 1 bull I have 6 acres of alfalfa that I grow and feed my cows. The field pretty much feeds the cows all year. I could sell the alfalfa and make a little more money, but I would have to deliver it or sit on it til it sells. Every time I put a calculator to it I make less than if I sold it. Nonetheless I am still making money. Anyone else have any advice or creativity ? Basically I have 2000 60 pound bales of hay a year. And 4 months of pasture.

so youve basically got 31 cows your drylotting and feeding them straight alfalfa hay year round and 6 acres makes 2000 square bales? im confused just trying to make sure ive got this right

10 Cows/calves and 1 bull, 12000lbs of hay for 240 days divided by 11 works out to 4.5 lbs of feed per day for your cows and bull. Sounds like you have it figured out .

snoopdog":3hve1n16 said:
10 Cows/calves and 1 bull, 12000lbs of hay for 240 days divided by 11 works out to 4.5 lbs of feed per day for your cows and bull. Sounds like you have it figured out .

60 pound bales x 2000 bales would actually be 120,000 pounds of hay, or 45 pounds per animal/per day.

JMJ Farms":3d5aywue said:
snoopdog":3d5aywue said:

60 pound bales x 2000 bales would actually be 120,000 pounds of hay, or 45 pounds per animal/per day.
You are correct, 10 tons per acre , not bad .

snoopdog":2n42oqas said:
JMJ Farms":2n42oqas said:
snoopdog":2n42oqas said:

You are correct, 10 tons per acre , not bad .

:lol2: Id say not! Hate to see the fertilizer bill on that :lol2:

Lrj505":2gky8dga said:
I have 21 cows going cows , black angus, a few baldies, and a few herfords, 10 cows calves and 1 bull I have 6 acres of alfalfa that I grow and feed my cows. The field pretty much feeds the cows all year. I could sell the alfalfa and make a little more money, but I would have to deliver it or sit on it til it sells. Every time I put a calculator to it I make less than if I sold it. Nonetheless I am still making money. Anyone else have any advice or creativity ? Basically I have 2000 60 pound bales of hay a year. And 4 months of pasture.
In another post you said you bought a load of alfalfa and sold it. Made your part free.

TexasBred":1vqhf1jd said:
Lrj505":1vqhf1jd said:
In another post you said you bought a load of alfalfa and sold it. Made your part free.

Technically sometimes I get my money back when I flip hay. If I didn't have cows I would keep the profit (hay) , but chances are I wouldn't flip hay without having cows.

Latest posts