Hay consumption?

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
So my pastures are pretty much gone, I have hay out for the cows and also liquid supplement. My concern is that the cows aren't eating much hay, they are eating some and nobody is looking bad but it concerns me that they aren't eating more and I don't want them to loose condition. These are mostly bred heifers. It's Mixed grass hay that was cut this year. The cows are still out picking at the pastures but I can't imagine there is much left out there. Am I just worrying for nothing? Any thought?

Have the hay tested....if they are still picking the pastures it's because they prefer it over the hay. Testing the hay will verify what they are telling you.

southernultrablack":2qnfxdrq said:
So my pastures are pretty much gone, I have hay out for the cows and also liquid supplement. My concern is that the cows aren't eating much hay, they are eating some and nobody is looking bad but it concerns me that they aren't eating more and I don't want them to loose condition. These are mostly bred heifers. It's Mixed grass hay that was cut this year. The cows are still out picking at the pastures but I can't imagine there is much left out there. Am I just worrying for nothing? Any thought?

My cattle will pick pastures if any green sprouting up. IMO they couldn't be very hungry or they would eat the hay.

skyhightree1":2sjl6svb said:
southernultrablack":2sjl6svb said:

My cattle will pick pastures if any green sprouting up. IMO they couldn't be very hungry or they would eat the hay. One way toy to check that is get some really nice quality horse hay toss it out see what happens maybe just one bale.

You're cattle or sort of coasting right now and maintenance requirements are minimal. When it turns cold and there is no more of the green pickings they'll start eating the hay.

I'm in the same boat in NE Al . I have hay out and not much grass. I think they will eat the hay if they want / need it.

southernultrablack":s37zzls5 said:
If your liquid feed is like what is sold here with 30% protein with urea they will clean up a pasture.
I don't like putting it out until it really gets cold as it really builds a fire in their belly. I have actually seen them loose conditioning walking for a blade of grass. I prefer a 2-1-1 mix of corn csm and salt at 12-14% if the cows need supplements. That is what I have a group of heifers on now our nights are just running in the 50's.

Not uncommon for a cow with access to something to pick on a pretty day, getting out and eating.

I put the first bale out today since spring. They didn't even pay any attention to it. Pastures are still green but seem to have stopped growing and they are getting them picked down pretty good. I figure when they get tired of picking and start getting hungry the hay will be ready when they are.